Olympic Lifts

Options
Now that I have the clean and jerk down I really want to start working on my squat snatch but I can't seem to muster enough strength at the end of the movement. Does anyone have any drills they think might help?

Replies

• diegops1
    diegops1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I did a little Olympic lifting many years ago, but I worked out with a couple guys on the US Olympic team. The squat snatch is significantly more difficult than the clean and jerk due to the speed and balance required to get under the bar and still raise up with it. I would suggest looking for a coach. If you can't find one, look at a lot of competition on Youtube. There are some good videos of the 2012 London games. Good luck. Olympic lifting is the best all around type of strength training, much better than the body building stuff you usually see in a gym and due to the speed and balance required, better than power lifting.
  • natecooper75
    natecooper75 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have seen some Crossfit boxes that sometime host Olympic lifting seminars. Maybe try that to get the hang of it. Once you get some pointers and start working on the movement, you may want to get a good coach like diegops1 mentioned. The Olympic lifts are a lot more technical and coaching is pretty much a must.
  • smalltown_princess
    smalltown_princess Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Would anyone have an idea of where I would start looking for a coach? Just a local gym?
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    try a local university
  • VincitQuiSeVincit
    VincitQuiSeVincit Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    GO LIGHTER. You need to master the squat snatch with NO weight, then add weight...you need to be able to catch the bar in a full squat, even if that means you are squat snatching just the bar, or a women's bar or training bar or even just a broom stick- master the movement first and then work on adding weight. Squat snatches are tricky in that you are NOT generating the power at the end, but in the pull- once you master a strong pull, you are getting UNDER the bar, not getting the bar over you. Good luck
  • smalltown_princess
    smalltown_princess Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I really appreciate it!!
  • vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    The snatch is easily the most complicated lift around. You can seriously injure yourself with it. More than any other lift, correct technique is critical.

As the above poster said, start with a pvc pipe or whatever to get the technique. Watch videos online. Record yourself with your phone, and watch and critique yourself.

Once you have the basics down and you feel comfortable, try to find a trainer who knows how to teach the snatch. This will typically not be your average personal trainer at your local gym who got their A.C.E. certification.

That being said, it is an immensely fun lift :) There is a great level of confidence building, flexibility, coordination, strength, power, and cardio all wrapped up in one. Have fun!