Daniels Fast

Options
:flowerforyou: Good Morning everyone, well it's really almost 1:00am in the morning. Just a short note to request your prayers. My Church is embarking on a Fast (Daniel) for the next ten days. It starts today (Wednesday 9 June 2010) We will turn down our plates to all meats and sweets. We are praying for our young people,for families, for our nation as a whole. So my MFP'S, as you go throughtout the day, just lift up a prayer. (If any one knows any good meatless meals will love it you could send.) Many Thanks to all. Many Blessings to all.

Replies

• queenak77
    queenak77 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    OH WOW!! I think that is great as a congregation to do that as a whole. Praise God. I will be in prayer with you all!!! I may even do a couple of days with you and ask my friends from church to join in also. May God bless you on this endeavor. Unfortunately, as of right now, I cant think of any meatless meals...Oatmeal maybe?!? lol :smile:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Just now Googled it, sounds like healthy eating to me:flowerforyou:

You might Google Vegetarian sites and see what's found on there also check the archives here on MFP as Veg meal threads are often brought up.

Wishing you well in Health and Spiritual goals,
    Becca:flowerforyou:
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Here's some of my meatless recipes :)

HARVEST HOME VEGGIE CHILI
    4 rainbow bell peppers (1 red, 1 yellow, 1 orange, 1 green)
    2 zucchini
    1 yellow (summer) squash
    4 potatoes
    1 can reduced sodium kidney beans, rinsed
    1 can no salt added corn
    1 can diced tomatoes (I like to use the cilantro & lime flavor)
    1 can Hunts zesty spaghetti sauce

Bring large pot of water to boil. Meanwhile chop/dice/cube/slice potatoes, squash, zucchini, and bell peppers. Throw in pot, add kidney beans. Allow to boil until potatoes are soft. Drain, return to pot. Add corn, diced tomatoes, and sauce, cook until warm. Top with cheddar, sour cream, salsa, and all your favorite chili fixins. Serve with tortilla chips or corn bread. Browned, drained ground beef may be added to recipe if desired. Stuff yourself silly. This chili is less than 300 cals per serving!

SUPREMELY AWESOME PIZZA (Serves 2-4 people)
    You can either buy your crust, or make this low sodium one:
    2 t Active dry yeast
    3 1/2 c Bread Flour
    1 1/2 c Water
    2 tsp Honey (or splenda)
    2 T Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Place ingredients in bread machine in order specified by manufacturer and process on dough cycle. Turn out the dough onto a floured board. At this point you may form the pizzas, or refrigerate the dough for several hours, well wrapped in plastic so it won't dry out. (Although a refrigerator rest is not necessary, it makes the dough easier to handle.) Makes enough dough for two 12-inch pizzas, or two 10-inch thick-crust pizzas. Bake at 400 degrees until lightly browned around the edges. Top as desired and return to oven until cheese is melted and crust browned, about 15 minutes total.

If you choose to buy a pre-made crust, proceed with the following recipe:

1 Mama Mary's Thin & Crispy Crust (got ours at Walmart), or use the crust recipe above
    1 red bell pepper
    1 green bell pepper
    1 can sliced, pitted olives, rinsed
    1 sweet onion
    2 Tomatoes
    1 Can Pizza Sauce (also got from Walmart, check labels for lowest sodium one!)
    1 pack fresh sliced mushrooms (available in produce dept)
    1 bag Sargento reduced sodium shredded mozzarella
    1 can pineapple

Lay crust on baking sheet. Sauce lightly. Measure 1 cup cheese & sprinkle. Pile up all the yummy things! Sprinkle 1/2 cup cheese on top. Bake as directed on crust package.
    Pizza Hut can’t touch this puppy. It’s only 700 cals in HALF the pizza! 2 slices of chain pizza are typically that much.
  • lovelypen50
    lovelypen50 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the encouragement. The support and the recipes..... would love you all to take this journey with us.
  • Briannah
    Briannah Posts: 50
    Options
    I will definately be praying for you... xoxoxo
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    Thank you all for the encouragement. The support and the recipes..... would love you all to take this journey with us.
    I'd never heard of it until you posted and found it interesting to read about, it makes me think of clean eating which is never a bad thing. :drinker:
    Glad I saw your thread,
    Becca:flowerforyou:
  • Royse
    Royse Posts: 7
    Options
    Check out quinoa (keen-wah), it's a seed that is a complete protien. It's supposed to be great for vegetarians/vegans. It cooks up like barley and there are many recipes online. Best of luck and God bless!
    JJ
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    bump