The scales just won't budge a kilo...

Options
2»

Replies

• Marybeatles
    Options
    Hi. Im new here. I have been just using the calories and exercising thingy. I do not know what length thing is that you talked about.

As far as the not losing weight. . . I have found that I could be allergic to a food. If youre allergic to it, it can cause 1/2 lb weight gain per day. Also, are you eating the same foods everyday? if so, id change it up and see if the scale moves. Also, i didnt lose wt for a long time, but lost in inches. The scale can drive a person nuts. I have learned to go by my clothes and how i look in the mirror. No matter what, i exercise! I lost 75 lbs. First was w watchers, but not much in weight. Now 1200 cal give or take. I wish you luck :) its not easy. I gained back 15 lbs from stress recently, but am back on track for 3 days :)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    @oinkoink2242‌ just wanted too add, I'm in Adelaide. Good too see more Aussies on the boards :D
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    To put it into perspective: over the last three days, the scales have not fluctuated a single gram. Even though I ate less on one day and more on the other, and my water intake varied, I didn't lose or gain a single gram.
    I don't eat all the calories back because I like to assume it's a tiny bit inaccurate, and don't want to over eat.
    I'm going to try weighing food, but it just feels a little awkward.
    I'm more than happy to be able to see and feel results, but it's just odd.

That's not how weight loss happens ...it's not linear ...and it's certainly not daily ...see how it goes up and down for a couple of weeks then drops ..that's not down to food I've recently consumed but the overall defecit taking into account change in exercise, sodium and hormones. Scale weight in the short term is a bad judge of success

Here this is mine over a couple of months nboxrqvof0sd.jpg
  • jessupbrady
    jessupbrady Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Side Steel and SaraUK have a ton of great articles (here on FP) that you might want to read. Here is a List.
    I'd recommend starting with this Article.

OP, When I first read your question it reminded me of what they said about "What you think is accurate may not be". If you are accurately logging your information, then you can use your own information to adjust your goals as opposed to some online calculator.

Although, you will want to consider accurately measuring with a digital scale. In the aforementioned article there was a link to this youtube video that explains it.
  • Christine_72
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Here's a good graphic of the woosh. This usually what happens to me when I have a stall.
    myx6ckkm6lal.jpeg
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Here's a good graphic of the woosh. This usually what happens to me when I have a stall.
    myx6ckkm6lal.jpeg

The Woosh happens with me every time! I have to have nerves of steel, but I totally believe in my numbers, sit it out, and wooooosh. I'm currently in a stall. I know exactly what's going on with those naughty fat cells, and I'm sitting it out. No way am I cutting further!

• Christine_72
    Options
    myx6ckkm6lal.jpeg

The Woosh happens with me every time! I have to have nerves of steel, but I totally believe in my numbers, sit it out, and wooooosh. I'm currently in a stall. I know exactly what's going on with those naughty fat cells, and I'm sitting it out. No way am I cutting further!

good on ya :D I refuse to lower my calories even further to!!
    One thing we need in abundance when losing weight is PATIENCE lol :s

• rustmitt
    Options
    That's happened to me and even though the scale is not reading lower, if you're exercising it's because you are toning muscle in the right places and losing fat from the right places. So the weight is probably just moving around. You'll feel when your waist gets smaller because that's where your clothes are tightest, you probably wouldn't notice if your biceps or calves filled out with muscle because we don't button our clothes there. I've been there! Keep going!
  • MJharry
    MJharry Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Don't want to hijack the thread but this is the first time I've heard of the woosh factor and I like it. How long roughly would you say the woosh cycle is, weeks? months? ... I'm trying to be patient...
  • Christine_72
    Options
    @mjharry for me it's around every few weeks. But I think it's different for each individual, depending how much weight you need to lose etc etc
    Some signs to look for before a woosh... your fat feels extra squishy, sometimes you can feel tiny marble size lumps under your belly fat, and for me, I wee ALOT the day/night before
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    I also get the whoosh once in a while. Not all the time. Sometimes I lose very consistently 1.5-2 pounds per week. Other times, I lose nothing for 3 or 4 weeks then lose 7 pounds in two days. It's crazy, but I now just accept it. It makes the waiting easier.
  • MJharry
    MJharry Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I know it's just a number, but once it starts moving down, I feel a whole lot better (in the mind and in my confidence).
  • oinkoink2242
    oinkoink2242 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I don't really care about the scales because I'm getting results everywhere else - I think I might be allergic to something. It's either gluten or lactose, but my cousin actually has Crohn's disease so I'm a little concerned.
    Will start making use of a food scale more regularly, and wait for the scales to catch up!
  • maccarossi1
    maccarossi1 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Main thing is clothes are getting looser which means you must be shrinking in some places, personally I don't weigh myself all that often and weight can fluctuate quite a lot, maybe take measurements regularly instead of just looking at a scale? Losing cm's from around the waist/legs/arms is an even better feeling than seeing the number on the scales in my opinion.

And you mention a lot of running but maybe mix it up a couple of days a week and do some strength/weight/resistance type exercise? It's fantastic for dropping body fat etc. and where I've managed to lose most of my kg's so far from :)
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    If your body weight scale is not changing by even "a single gram" (which has to be an exaggeration; usually their precision is only to about 50-100 grams, i.e. 0.05 or 0.1 kg), have you considered the possibility that your scale is broken? If it always gives the same weight, that's a possibility. Try picking up something that weighs 1-2 kg. and weigh yourself while holding it.