Best tracker for swimming?

Hi!
I'm recovering from a broken leg and would really like to get a tracker to encourage me to swim and walk more when I'm better. I'm still in water physio, so I can't do much yet, but I'd like to know what people thought were the best trackers that were waterproof.
Cheers

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    The Garmin Swim will track your swimming, as will the 920XT which also has pedometer function. The latter is probably prohibitively expensive though.

Viviactive might be right for you, but it's not out for another couple of months.
  • Thank you!! :D
    I'll go have a look at them and if I can get them locally. I can wait a couple of months anyway, still trying to learn to walk unassisted but I'm working hard :#
    Thanks again!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    I've just had a look, the VivoActive is out at the end of March, currently retailing at £200 for pre-order.
  • Jinxy23
    Jinxy23 Posts: 33 Member
    I know that things like the Polar ft4 can be used for swimming. It's a HR monitor but i believe it also has a calorie burning function too.
  • Thanks MeanderingMammal! It's looking like a great option with it's stats. Cheers
    I'll go check that one out Jinxy23, Ta mate!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    The Garmin Swim will track your swimming, as will the 920XT which also has pedometer function. The latter is probably prohibitively expensive though.

Viviactive might be right for you, but it's not out for another couple of months.

I love my 920xt but poster is right, it's a lot of money for just a swim/pedometer. It also doesn't track HR in water but will give you a calorie estimate (which for me has been far lower than MFP).

You could do a cheaper end pedometer for walking and a swim dedicated watch or the HRM option.
    I'd just read lots of reviews on the HRM you choose for swimming.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    My Fitbit Flex records steps while I am swimming and it is water resistant (the only Fitbit that is). I was looking at the Jawbone UP3 because it is water resistant and is a HRM, but it only syncs with android, not a PC and I do not have a smartphone.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member

I love my 920xt but poster is right, it's a lot of money for just a swim/pedometer. It also doesn't track HR in water but will give you a calorie estimate (which for me has been far lower than MFP).

You could do a cheaper end pedometer for walking and a swim dedicated watch or the HRM option.

Does the Swim work for running?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member

Does the Swim work for running?

No, it does not have GPS.
  • Thanks for all the information guys! I'll be able to make a better decision about what kind of tracker I want.
    :D