Skinny oven fried oystes?

Options
scubagram
scubagram Posts: 27 Member
I just bought a container of fresh oysters. DH and I love fried oysters; don't care for raw ones. I've been searching the net for a healthier version of fried via the oven but all of them I came across were very calorie laden with oil, butter, flour, etc. Anyone have a reduced calorie oyster recipe to share?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Why don't you bake them in the oven without added oil, butter and flour? That should be as skinny as hell, oysters are pure protein and water and delish! Discard those that are open before baking and won't close when tapped, and those that won't open during baking, as they will be dead and dangerous. You can add lemon juice, chopped onion, grated cheese, vinegar... endless possibilities!

Yum, I love oysters!
  • scubagram
    Options
    My oysters have already been shucked. Might try baking with a smaller amount of butter and lemon. Thanks.
  • hoginona04
    hoginona04 Posts: 3 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    You can always do it the New Orleans way, Charbroiled. Since you have them already shucked, you can use a muffin pan or they sell the disposable type at the grocery store.
    Drago’s Style Charbroiled Oysters Recipe

The Sauce:

1 Stick Unsalted Butter, very soft
    1 Pinch Kosher Salt
    1 tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
    1 Tbsp Minced Garlic
    4 Tbsp Pecorino Romano
    1 pinch Cayenne
    1 pinch White Pepper
    1 Spritz Lemon Juice
    1 tsp Minced Italian Parsley

Whisk together all ingredients.

For the Oysters:

1 Dozen Large freshly shucked Oysters on the half shell (preferrably Louisiana)
    1 Recipe of the Sauce, above
    Pecorino Romano to finish
    Minced Italian Parsley for garnish
    Fresh Bread
    Lemon wedges

Mix together all of the ingredients.

Heat a charcoal or gas grill until very, very hot. Place the oysters on the hottest spot on the grill and let them cook in their own juices for a few minutes, just until they start to bubble and the edges curl.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Smoking them is a great way to cook and add flavor. I have a stovetop smoker from camerons. But I realize you may not. I found this video that shows you how to make one. saveur.com/article/Video/VIDEO-How-to-Make-a-Stovetop-Smoker

Once they are smoked you can serve with a dipping sauce of your choice. I like this one. soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2013/11/oyster-night.html
  • scubagram
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas!
  • cdougherty01
    Options
    I like this method:

Olive Oil
    Cajun Seasoning
    Skillet

Profit.