Swimming for exercise

Options
spfldpam
spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
I don't know how to swim but signed up for adult swimming classes at my local Y recently and the classes start June 16th. I can sort of doggie paddle but just can't get that foot off the ground for a long time I guess. It has been a while since I have even done that too.
Just wondering for beginner swimmers starting out what is the best way to incorporate this into your excersize plan. I currently go to the gym 2-3 times a week focusing mainly on strength training at this point since I am done loosing weight and just want to maintain and firm up. I do about 10 minutes on the treadmill to warm up at an incline and at 4MPH and the do the weight machines and free weights then do about 12 minutes on the elliptical machine. I also ride my Schwinn bike when the weather permits for 30 minutes to 1 1/2 hours.
They told me I would need to pratice swimming during the week but I go to Planet Fitness and they don't have a pool so I am thinking of either joining the Y or another gym Fit Club that has a pool for laps.
Thanks in advance!

Replies

• spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Bump! I never got any replies. I went to my first beginning swim class yesterday and enjoyed it. Kinda got freaked out with the trying to float on my stomach but did great with floating on my back. By the end of the class I was more confident with floating on my stomach with a float board and float belt attached.
    Any advice on beginning swimming and using it for exercise would be greatly appreicated.
    Thanks!
  • JodieP13
    JodieP13 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I'm not a strong swimmer at ALL, but have been enjoying doing laps at my gym. I cheat by using a floatie under my chest, but still use my arms and legs and kick and paddle like the ****ens! Great and exhausting workout! I'm hoping to get strong enough to lose the floatie soon! :)
  • larsensue
    larsensue Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I go to water aerobics 2X/week and it is a great work out! anyone, even non-swimmers can do it! you might like it.... it would also help you get more out of your pool membership.
  • sugaree1202
    sugaree1202 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Swimming is like anything else - the more you do it, the better you get. I used to swim a mile of laps daily (65 laps in a 50 yd pool, a lap is 2 lenths) and lost 25 pounds in 3 moths plus got super toned. Swimming uses just about every muscle in your body and the water provides natural resistance for toning and increased muscle strength.

Way to go on taking lessons! Stick with them and you'll be owning that pool in no time :) The easiest way to get a good cardio workout swimming is freestyle laps. Once you get the hang of the basics, ask for instructions on proper freestyle form like cupping your hands to displace more water and flutter kick which is small fast kicks with your toes pointed instead of big slow kicks. You can start out by using a kickboard for laps and adding arms later, the kickboard will give you added security then you can use a waist float once you stop using a kickboard. Since it sounds like your fitness level is pretty advanced, you should be able to maintain a decent lap pace - a mile in 45 minutes is a decent cardio workout - and tone up pretty quickly. Swimming gives you great back, arm, leg & core muscles!
  • JusticeGirl25
    JusticeGirl25 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I was a pre-teen when I learned how to swim. I was deathly afraid of the water. First thing I did was put my face in the water then put my whole head in the water and gradually worked my way to doggy paddle and swim laps. I like to swim right now and do it maybe once or twice a week.
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to go regularly and to set yourself mini goals - eg lengths or half lengths using the float just kicking, timed floating etc so you can see your gradual process. Swimming confidence builds up slowly. When I started swimming lessons a year or so ago I could basically swim but easily got spooked eg being on my front in the deep end. I just built it up gradually -,and kept on going 2 or 3 times a week, with a regular routine I timed. I regularly do 750m each time I go now for aboit 30/40 mins and am fine in the deep end! Not huge by some swimmers standards but easily enough to help fitness/ body tone...good for you for learning to swim - that is great, I hope you keep on enjoying it.
  • mikeatmichael
    mikeatmichael Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I swim a mile on my lunch hour every Mon/Wed/Fri. Its a great exercise for toning and stretching your muscles and really builds up endurance. I run or ride bike on the other days so swimming provides me a way to work out without working the same muscles on consecutive days.

I also do body weight strength training early in the morning on days I swim. These are short but intense workouts doing two sets of two different exercises each day.

The more you swim the more relaxed and comfortable you will be. As you become comfortable in the water you'll become more efficient and it will get easier. The best thing you can do is learn to relax. Don't worry about speed.

As your stroke gets better start doing laps and try to increase the number of laps by a small amount each time you go. It won't take long to be able to go 30-45 minutes non stop.

Congratulations on learning a new activity and good luck.
  • mittencat77
    mittencat77 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Reading your posts have given me faith in humanity. I find it inspiring that one would take the plunge and learn how to swim as an adult. Something about reading that made me smile.

You can get in really good shape swimming. Often when I have been in swim clubs...just a semi-serious group (the serious group trained before us!). It will tone your arms and legs and for the most part keep you injury free. I hope you have a great time and learn to love the water!!!