Ideas for core exercises I can do at home please!

Options
OK - so I am walking and running for my cardio and I am doing pretty well (up to 5 miles running and 8 miles walking - not in the same session though).

I cannot afford a gym membership and my place is teeny tiny so I can't get a lot of equipment to help with core exercises.

The ones I have so far are:-
The plank
Crunches
Push ups

Does anyone have any others I can try? Or can you recommend me a decent DVD or book I can buy to help me out?

Thanks people!

Replies

• islandgirl76_
    islandgirl76_ Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Bicycle crunches, side plank, plank w/ side taps or leg raises (alternate legs), russian twist, side bends (if you don't have weights you can use a water jug or something).

I love http://workoutlabs.com for at home workouts.
  • hazeljordan1974
    hazeljordan1974 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Thank you - that is a brilliant site!
  • emmythedagger
    emmythedagger Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I have been searching for something like that too :)
  • stunningalmond
    stunningalmond Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Look for pilates exercises. They're fabulous for your core. :)
  • sweetteacher123
    Options
    Yoga. Look up free videos on Youtube. Good luck!
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I enjoy my WiiFit for some core stuff - I guess that's a bit of an investment if you don't already have it. But just search "CoreWorkout" on Youtube and you'll find a bunch to just try out, and then go with what you feel you click with. There is also a thread about favorite workout videos (not directly core related, but almost anyone creating workouts will have at least one core option).

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1006865-what-are-your-favorite-workout-youtube-videos
  • Cainster13
    Cainster13 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    leg raises for deffo! and Oblique push ups :)
  • Morningstar93
    Options
    Check out the exercises on this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyZDZjOt_C4

and also shape.com has some fantastic stuff

http://www.shape.com/fitness/workouts/lose-pooch-best-exercises-lower-abs?page=6

Hope they work for you, i like them because sit-ups are boring!!
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Blogilates.com, her videos are also on youtube but on the website you can search everything. On youtube check the Befit channel and they have different videos for everything.
  • ProudMotherof4ProudWife2007
    Options
    Insanity,Lesmills, Hip hop ab's alot of them you can find on Youtube
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    BUMP!!
  • kmartinixx
    kmartinixx Posts: 197
    Options
    I love doing Russian twists. it's basically a sit up, but you go about 3/4's of the way up (not all the way), and twist a few times and slowly let yourself back down. It's really great with a dumbbell, too. I hold the dumbbell with both hands and that way I am not using momentum when I go up and JUST my core. I twist six times (3 times to each side). Definitely my fav.

Another at home exercise I do, it I sit on the arm of my couch, balance on my booty, and basically do leg lifts. Really works your lower abs! You could do this on the floor as well, but I find it burns a lot more trying to balance on my couch lol.
  • ayankeefan51
    ayankeefan51 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. Along with cardio, I recently started weight training and body weight exercise program using only dumbbells. For core exercises I've been using this app called JEFIT. It has tons of core/ab exercises you can do at home without equipment as well as with equipment.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    "Body by You" by Mark Lauren. Body weight exercises for your whole body. The book is good for beginners all the way to advanced and is geared toward women. For even more advanced exercises get "You Are Your Own Gym".
  • hazeljordan1974
    hazeljordan1974 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Thanks you guys! Lots and lots for me to get inspiration! :-)
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Squats, lunges and yoga poses.
  • IMD918
    IMD918 Posts: 49
    Options
    I also recommend spending the $15 for an ab wheel and doing that instead of crunches because the resistance will give you better results.
  • Colliex3
    Colliex3 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    My Friends just gave me a bunch of Ideas... since I cant do crunches or sit ups with my back.. Bumping this to see the ideas you get :)
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    The app "sworkit" is fun... it has workouts in increments of 5 minutes, whether you want core, yoga, full body, etc.