Exercise Guilt

Options
I am dealing with some exercise guilt, looking for some words of encouragement, advice, or support.

I have been doing well with my eating staying under my 1500 calorie goal. I've lost 10 pounds in 22 days and feel happy about that. My work week in the first half of the week is extremely busy and I tend to work extended days and by the time i get home and have dinner i am ready to shower and fall asleep and have no energy to go up to the gym.

I noticed that I am better at getting in my gym time towards the end of the week.. Thursday through Sunday I go to the gym, one of those days I go on a long hike outdoors, usually around 5-7 miles. I feel incredibly guilty Monday through Wednesday though when I don't make it to the gym.. even though I am staying within my calories, I feel like I am hindering myself from losing weight just from missing those 3 days.. is this normal? Am I just getting in my own head?

Replies

• terricherry2
    terricherry2 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    You don't need to work out every day to lose weight. And most of the experienced successful people on MFP will tell you it's good to have rest days so your muscles can repair instead of continually breaking them down (there's threads with all the science on). And 10lb in 22 days is amazing! You're doing well.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight without exercising, and rest days are important for recovery. I take rest days so I don't burn out and completely quit exercising.

If you're feeling guilty about not doing anything at all on those days, it doesn't take hardly any time or effort just to walk around your neighborhood, do some yoga in front of the TV, or something simple like that. It doesn't have to be super strenuous to make a difference.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me like you are working out enough. Having 3 rest days is not a terrible sin. :) But yeah if you decide to add some light calisthenics/stretching in front of the TV at home on those days it can't hurt. Those could be your days to work on flexibility, or something.
  • liekewheeless
    liekewheeless Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    4 out of 7 days is fine. Just don't get discouraged when your weight loss slows down. 10lb in 22 days is amazing (over half a pound a day) but most likely your body won't keep that up. Wouldn't want you to stress about those 3 days ones things slow down.