Logging homemad bread - help me please!

Hi everyone

I'm new to MFP and struggling a bit with how to enter a recipe for my own bread. As we make our own I can't look up the calorie content for it, and if I try and enter it as a recipe it asks for the amount of portions which is a bit difficult as we slice it ourself and hubby likes his a different thickness to me so you're never going to get the same amount of slices out of any two loaves.

Does anyone else make their own bread, and if so how do you log it? Ideally I want to do put it on as some kind of recipe that I can then log on a 1g basis if that makes sense (so I can log, say, one slice of 58g).

I probably only have bread 2-3 times a week, but I could be quite a bit out as I've just used a random bread company's wholemeal slice to log it; don't want to be thinking there are 80 calories in something when there are only 50 or something, every little bit helps!!

Hoping someone can help me :smile:

Replies

• RawCarrots
    RawCarrots Posts: 204 Member
    What I would do is weigh the whole bread and then weigh a single slice, then divide to get the number of portions.

So if the whole bread is 800g and one slice is 20g, then I'd enter 40 portions for the recipe. (You could also enter 800 as portions and use 1g but then you have to add 20g of bread each time you have a slice, it's more typing)
  • michelleepotter
    michelleepotter Posts: 800 Member
    Weigh the loaf of bread when it's done cooking. Put the total number of ounces as how many portions it makes. That will make each portion equal one ounce. Then, every time you cut a slice, weigh it. If your slice is two ounces, then it's two "portions" of your recipe.
  • TwoStrokeTart
    TwoStrokeTart Posts: 4 Member
    Thanks! So I don't enter it as a recipe but as one of my foods? How will I then know the things like fat content and stuff?

Sorry, I'm probably being really thick, but I sometimes have problems getting used to new things and need to ask a few times to make sure I've got it right. :blushing:
  • michelleepotter
    No, do enter it as a recipe. But in the part of the recipe where it asks how many portions it makes, put in the total number of ounces. That will make one portion = one ounce. Then, when you cut a slice, you weigh the slice to see how many portions it is. That way if you eat a slice that's two ounces, but your hubby's slice is three ounces, you say you ate two portions of bread, and he says he ate three, and it will come out right.
  • lessofme43
    lessofme43 Posts: 139 Member
    I enter many of my own recipes, but find that compared to most selections out there the calories aren't hugely different in the end...but I hear u on wanting to be as accurate as possible. I find that if I enter a grocery store bakery's bread, it is likely to be very close. As for portion sizes, I weigh my portions and look for selections that make it easy to log; like calories per 100 g slice, and then adjust accordingly, like .8 of a 100 g serving.
  • michelleepotter
    Sorry, when you enter the recipe it says "servings" rather than "portions." Same thing.
  • RawCarrots
    RawCarrots Posts: 204 Member
    You do enter it as a recipe (and yes, it does say servings instead of portions, sorry!)
    Thanks! So I don't enter it as a recipe but as one of my foods? How will I then know the things like fat content and stuff?

Sorry, I'm probably being really thick, but I sometimes have problems getting used to new things and need to ask a few times to make sure I've got it right. :blushing:
  • TwoStrokeTart
    TwoStrokeTart Posts: 4 Member
    Thanks everyone! I've done as you suggested and it worked :happy: