Can't stand fish, but wish I could!

Options
chellec23
chellec23 Posts: 147 Member
I know how healthy fish is.....but I really can't stand the smell or flavor. I wish I could grill up some fish, or pop open a can of tuna and enjoy it. Does anyone have any secrets for eliminating or at least reducing the smell and make it taste better/not like fish???

I know when you buy it fresh if it smells fishy that means it isn't good. I know that salmon and catfish (blech) are a couple of the fishiest fish. I live in Arkansas and that means that about the only actually fresh fish you can get is catfish.

Thank you!!

Replies

• Kai81109
    Kai81109 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I do not like the smell of fish either but my husband got me to try tilapia and it honestly does not smell fishy or taste bad its really smooth...
  • chellec23
    Options
    I heard that fried fish ends up tasting fishier than grilled or baked. How did you fix your tilapia?
  • MIM49
    MIM49 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Tillapi is one of the mildest fish. Season to taste (pepper, paprika, a little lime or lemon juice) Bake (450 degree 15-20 min) or broil (10min, flip, 5 min) I then top with pico and cook until pico is warmed. Can't taste the fish :happy:
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I enjoy fish but have to prepare it sometimes to be "not objectionable" for some
    1 Tilapia Halibut Cod and white fleshed fish are least fishy Hake also available at Costco sometimes fits the bill I will grill it with seasoning lightly oiled with lemon herb spice and a touch of pepper
    2 Fish tacos I will use 2 bags of frozen mixed veggies with 3 or 4 fillets and a bag of Old El Paso seasoning Taco mix put the fillets over the veggies as the cook and become soft and flaky shred them into the veggies and then add the Taco mix and stir well Serve in a thin Taco shell or just put on plate with a brown rice or Quinoa Cant Taste The Fish is what I call it
  • chellec23
    Options
    Good deal! Thank you!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    I'd sugest a mild fish like Mahi Mahi, Tilapia, or Cod. None of those fish are particularly fishy smelling or tasting..if you can't handle those, you're probably just not going to be a fish eater. Not to worry...you don't have to eat fish to be healthy. Fish is nice because it gives you another source of lean protein...if you're eating fatty fish like tuna and salmon, you get lot of omega 3...you get some from white fish, but not nearly as much.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I heard that fried fish ends up tasting fishier than grilled or baked. How did you fix your tilapia?

Be careful not to overcook fish. It will taste fishier when overcooked. Thin filets take only a few minutes to cook. In a pan, maybe 1-2 min per side. In a hot oven, 10 min will usually do it.
  • kusterer
    kusterer Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    We used to farm tilapia, the fish formerly known as carp, in an artificial pond on our farm. Tilapia was bred to be farmed and all of it is. Think of a factory poultry operation where the animals are densely packed in and fed grain. In the hen house, the poultry walks around on the huge quantity of chicken waste, In a factory fish pond, the fish swim around in it. The poop and/or the antibiotics to counter the poop are in every fish. Because of my experience, I don't eat farmed seafood (all tilapia, all Atlantic salmon, almost all brook trout, and most shrimp). Sorry, you probably didn't want to hear this.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    White fish is better for beginners than red fish

tumblr_mjve2rM8n81s85eqbo1_400.gif
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    We used to farm tilapia, the fish formerly known as carp, in an artificial pond on our farm. Tilapia was bred to be farmed and all of it is. Think of a factory poultry operation where the animals are densely packed in and fed grain. In the hen house, the poultry walks around on the huge quantity of chicken waste, In a factory fish pond, the fish swim around in it. The poop and/or the antibiotics to counter the poop are in every fish. Because of my experience, I don't eat farmed seafood (all tilapia, all Atlantic salmon, almost all brook trout, and most shrimp). Sorry, you probably didn't want to hear this.

Many stores sell wild caught Atlantic salmon and shrimp.