Books that changed your life for the healthier

Options
Hey all! I tried to search around for this, but had some trouble - there's so many threads to sort through. So I decided to create a new thread.

Does anyone have any book recommendations that is practical, helpful, and not one of those fads? I'm not interested in gimmicks, but would love to check out some books that help with motivation, mindset, practical weight loss (help on eating less and moving more), or help on exercising for fitness beginners.

Was there one book that changed your outlook and your lifestyle? What was it?

Replies

• melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    2 books- the tightwad gazette, and the starch solution by dr. Mcdougall.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Drop Dead Healthy: One Man's Humble Quest for Bodily Perfection

I would not say it changed my life, but it did put a few things into perspective. The style is more of a memoir than a diet or health book, the style is funny and as self-absorbed as I like these kinds of books to be - not to compare to one of my favorite books "Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!".
  • simon2202
    simon2202 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    im after the same i will check the ones out you have suggested thanks!
  • sarawalk13
    sarawalk13 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I liked Thinspired by Mara Schiavocampo - read it recently and found it really helpful. Made me realize how I was sabotaging my own efforts at night.
  • CObluegrass
    CObluegrass Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    on mindset: The Beck Diet Solution: How to Train Your Brain to Think Like a Thin Person. applies cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) techniques to weight loss, and appealed to my logical side. has had a huge impact on how I approach weight loss/maintenance.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,718 Member
    Options
    Charles Duhigg - "The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business". It's NOT diet / fitness specific but is very helpful in identifying habits and how to create new ones. It is really helpful in all aspects of life, IMO.
  • AlciaMode
    AlciaMode Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Years ago I read Skinny *kitten*. While the book preaches veganism, something I was never able to stick to, it did a great job of helping me understand what I was putting into my body, what effect it has, and what my body actually needs plus clean ways to get it. It is informative and supportive though all the stuff about meat and dairy can get pretty scary. You may be put off from burgers for a while, which is not a bad thing really.
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I am reading 1 book right now, "Strong Lifts, for Strong Women". I would say it is a pretty comprehensive book and explains exercise, food, and the science behind it. I have not implemented the plan as of yet.

I use my local library. Love it.