MFP Sold to Under Armour??! I'm not feeling the love and support.

Options
trina1049
trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
edited February 2015 in Motivation and Support
Uh, oh -- What does this mean for all of us using MFP? Will this become a paid service now? I'm not sure about the data mining aspect, although many internet services do this on a regular basis. What will happen to the site now that it's been sold?

Wall Street Journal
By
Sara Germano
Updated Feb. 4, 2015 8:35 p.m. ET

Under Armour Inc. said it acquired the nutrition-tracking platform MyFitnessPal for $475 million, expanding the athletic-gear maker’s digital platform as it seeks to use online fitness communities to boost sales.

The addition of MyFitnessPal brings Under Armour’s consolidated network of fitness-app users to 120 million, including those on its MapMyFitness suite of apps and Endomondo, a largely European-based digital fitness hub whose acquisition was completed in January.

“One thing we emphatically know is that the more they work out, the more apparel and footwear they’re going to ultimately buy,” Under Armour Chief Executive Kevin Plank said of the company’s customers. Mr. Plank said the company will use insights gleaned from consumers sharing data across its platform to help make marketing decisions for its brand. . .MyFitnessPal, which offers calorie counting and nutrition tracking, will give Under Armour access to another 80 million users. The deal is expected to close in the first quarter.

Edited to add article since link would not work.

Replies

• Angel_Grove_
    Angel_Grove_ Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I hope they don't try to make this site look like the "MayMy..." sites - Those are so frustrating to use. Ads everywhere, the workout list isn't actually a list, a million clicks to get anywhere. Bah. The only reason I use MapMyFitness is because it syncs with Vitality (health/wellness program offered by my company) so I get my points.
  • sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    If they start charging to use MFP, another free caloring counting app will show up. I wouldn't worry about it.