Ideas for eating well on the road

Options
CaitlinW19
CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
edited February 2015 in Recipes
Hi MFPers,

I have a work trip coming up and I'm trying to brainstorm ideas for maintaining my healthy diet while I'm gone. I expect I may eat out here or there, and I'm fine with that, but I'm looking to do most of my meals on my own. I would love ideas people have to keep this a healthy week and not have to eat out for every meal.

What I'll have to work with:
- Walking distance to a grocery store
- fridge and microwave in room
- A toaster might be an option where they set up breakfast
- Plastic cups, utensils, etc.
- I can bring a measuring tool or a bowl or something if needed, but of course this has to be minimal
- Lunch will have to be portable and ready to eat. I'm thinking a simple sandwich likely.
- I'll arrive Monday afternoon and leave Friday morning

My daily habits:
- Breakfast: usually around 200 calories and filling. I do cottage cheese with low sugar jam on toast most days.
- Lunch: Usually I do a mason jar salad around 300 calories
- Dinner: Wide variety, but generally about 400 calories
- Snacks: I love snacks and usually have many small ones all day amounting to another 400 calories or so.

There isn't much I don't eat...except tuna and peas.

Replies

• funnygirl2004
    Options
    I often pack my own snacks from home - 100 cal. nut packages, my favorite bars, oatmeal packets, things I can control. You could pack a jar and purchase items to make your salad jars - maybe bring a bottle of salad dressing (if so, put in a ziplock bag in your suitcase or double bag). Often when I travel for work, meals are provided at lunch, so I just do my best to make good choices.
  • CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips. I used to travel all the time and tried to eat well. I find I'm out of practice. Lunch will only be provided 1 day and I was able to choose a healthy sounding salad, so the rest of the time I'm on my own. I don't know anyone else going so there should be less pressure to eat out for social reasons too.