Anyone else hit a really long plateau?

Options
I lost weight at a nice, steady rate for about 4 weeks then WHAM, I hit a wall and haven't lost an ounce in a week. And I've been under my calorie budget every day without fail. Frustrating as hell.

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    It's only been a week. Plateaus are usually thought of as being around 3 weeks or more without loss. You won't lose weight every week, some weeks you'll gain, it won't be linear. Do you weigh once a week or every day?
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    A week is NOT a long plateau. 2 months is a long plateau.

Don't fret over day to day or week to week fluctuations (or lack thereof)

Look at the long term (ie several month) trend. If that's going in the right direction, keep on keeping on. If not, make adjustments.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Really long? My plateau lasted 8 weeks before I started losing again. I got over it by recalculating my goals, tightening up my logging, skipping the "cheats," and just generally being more consistent.

Generally speaking, a plateau is considered something like 4-6+ weeks with no loss while keeping a consistent routine. I wouldn't worry too much about one week without a loss. That's going to happen from time to time, even when you do everything right. Weight loss isn't linear.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    I don't hit plateaus unless I stop watching what I eat and exercise less. In fact, the more I keep track, the faster I lose. I'm on a plateau now because of a bad situation I'm going through which has kept me from exercising as much, and eating more. I'm still tracking everything, but it's pretty even steven - I'm eating as much or more than I'm exercising. Hence: Plateau!
  • echmainfit619
    echmainfit619 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    4 to 6 WEEKS?! Makes my complaint seem trivial now.

I weigh myself every day and dutifully log it into MFP.

MFP gave me a daily calorie goal of 1800. But I usually clock in at 1300-1400.

I don't understand why the weight doesn't come off even if I'm consistently under.
  • marcymousse
    Options
    These post were encouraging to read. I have been about 2-3 weeks at the same weight. It can be very discouraging. I think I weigh myself too much in the hopes of seeing the numbers go down. I have lost 21.1 which is only 1/2 way to my goal. Though I feel and look so much better than I did I still have more to lose. I have been under my calorie intake every day and still no loss. Hoping this next week will bring a change!
  • GoPerfectHealth
    GoPerfectHealth Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've been logging for just over 30 days. Of course I lost a lot of weight in the first two weeks while adhering to a calorie deficit. But then for 13 days I didn't lose a single pound. And, I even gained a couple of pounds. But then I lost those and a few more. People keep telling me not to weigh so often, and if I do to ignore the daily fluctuations.
  • fireguychris
    fireguychris Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Last time I "gave up" was a three month plateau... this time I'm not weighing myself.. as much. Going to use measurements and monthly pictures instead.
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    One week isn't a plateau. You'll be losing at that huge deficit. I just wouldn't want to clock in that far under. You don't want to start losing muscle.
  • sw33tp3a11
    sw33tp3a11 Posts: 4,646 Member
    Options
    I've been in one for like 4 months. But my food intake has slowed me down. So in part its me causing this. I keep fluctuating with 2 lbs and its driving me insane!!

Anyway, don't stress so much. It's just a week. Keep doing what your doing and hopefully you will see huge results next week.
  • echmainfit619
    Options
    Good points. I shouldn't let the scale be the only judge of success.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    You mean maintenance, right?
  • mom2ava07
    mom2ava07 Posts: 186 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    It's just a week. You will lose again.

I'm in a similar situation. I lost 12 lbs in the first 4 weeks, and now that I'm in the 5th week I've fluctuated up 1.5 pounds and back down a pound...putting me at a net gain of a half pound in a week. I've changed nothing, so I assume this is just a typical slow down of loss.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    You don't always see your results immediately on the scale because of water weight. It can go up (temporarily) due to sodium, stress, change in sleep schedule, TOM/hormones and a number of other things.

Compare your weight monthly. Weigh in daily to learn your body's trends but compare weight today vs. 30 days ago. If its down, you're doing it right.
  • Shanairah1991
    Shanairah1991 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    It took me about 10 months to loose 30lbs then I stopped loosing this past 2 months. I was told it's because I wasn't counting my calories, which was fine then but the less you weigh the less you need to eat. I've dropped 5 since i started logging. Be patient, keep going, if it's coming off slow just think at least it's coming off! Too fast is not healthy.
  • Pandapotato
    Pandapotato Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Most structured weight loss programs have you weigh in once a week at most. (Some, like WW, won't even let you log in your weight more than that online...). You don't have to log your weight DAILY on MFP.

Also, if you're a woman (can't tell by the name), you may have one week out of each month where you plateau or bump slightly for, ahem, certainly reasons. ;-) Then the next week you drop more. Water weight/hormones/etc.

Stick with it.
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    4 weeks is nothing. i hit a plateau that lasted a year!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I'm down to my last 4kgs. I'm losing around 1kg (2.2lbs ) a month, after losing 24lbs in 3mths. It's slooow going, but I know it'll come off eventually.
  • echmainfit619
    Options
    Weight loss resumed :D
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    thanks for updating.
    That was only an 8 day plateau though! You're going to have to toughen up!! lol!
    My plateaus are about 6 weeks usually...I kick and scream, then BAM!