Appetite loss/Calorie struggles

Options
pandekrah
pandekrah Posts: 4
edited February 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello folks :)

So, this is my 2nd week of my complete lifestyle change. As of a few days ago, I'd lost 7lbs and haven't weighed since.
I was completely sedentary and practically lived off fast food and junk.
But I changed all of that towards the end of January. I now eat healthy foods, no more junk, drink lots of water and exercise 5 days a week.
I do strength training 5 days a week and I'm also doing couch to 5k training,3 days a week. So needless to say, I'm putting in hard work. I've felt so many positive changes in such a short time.

But for some unknown reason, my appetite is barely there now. It's a struggle for me to eat as much as I should. Some days I'd be shocked if I hit 1000 calories. I eat small portions but have no real desire to eat large amounts. I found myself getting full and almost nauseated from a yogurt/fruit parfait today. I really don't have the urge to eat after 5pm. Sometimes I almost forget to have dinner.

Is this normal? To lose your appetite after such a drastic lifestyle change? I'm trying to find ways to make sure to force myself to get some calories in every few hours, even if it's something small.

Replies

• markjacobs1987
    markjacobs1987 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I would say this is something not normal and you need to work towards upping your calories. Now don't try to force yourself to eat, because forcing it when you feel nauseus or sick to your stomach you run the risk of vomiting which is not good. Just slowly increase your calories until your body handles it. If you're eating at 1000 calories try upping it to 1200 for 3 weeks and then add more slowly as your body gets used to that. Hope this helps.
  • Poodles56
    Options
    Maybe you should go and see your doctor, just to make sure your body is doing fine. You should not be nauseated and feeling full from a small amount of food, like a yogurt parfait.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I would also suggest getting checked out by your doctor. I can speak personally that the more intense my workouts are the hungrier I get. Forget about long run days...I could eat entire buffet. The whole thing not just a plate. I pretty much eat all day every day.

Best of luck!
  • KrunchyMama
    KrunchyMama Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    @pandekrah did you get your appetite back? And if so, how?

I am feeling the same way, and seem to be satisfied at about 750-1000 calories a day, but keeping the same activity levels. Well, except for the weekend when I partied at a wedding - drinking isn't an issue, just eating. I have a lot of changes in my life right now, so I think I'm anxious and it is making it hard to eat. If I eat too much then I get this knot in the middle of my stomach just under my ribs my ribs. I recognize that this isn't good, and the scale isn't moving either, so it's not beneficial at all. My hubby thinks I should give it a week to let my nerves calm down and if the knot still occurs then to get it checked out. This is new territory for me, so I'm nervous to start trying to eat more then end up binging.
  • meghrose17
    meghrose17 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    @pandekrah did you get your appetite back? And if so, how?

I am feeling the same way, and seem to be satisfied at about 750-1000 calories a day, but keeping the same activity levels. Well, except for the weekend when I partied at a wedding - drinking isn't an issue, just eating. I have a lot of changes in my life right now, so I think I'm anxious and it is making it hard to eat. If I eat too much then I get this knot in the middle of my stomach just under my ribs my ribs. I recognize that this isn't good, and the scale isn't moving either, so it's not beneficial at all. My hubby thinks I should give it a week to let my nerves calm down and if the knot still occurs then to get it checked out. This is new territory for me, so I'm nervous to start trying to eat more then end up binging.

Eat boring, bland food! If anxiety and stress is curbing your appetite, stick to bananas, apples, toast, plain chicken and rice, that sort of thing. Measure out the amount you should be eating at the time you should be eating - the boring flavor is less likely to upset your stomach even if it's full of butterflies, you're not likely to trigger any overeating, and you'll keep yourself healthy while you work through whatever changes are causing you stress. If it's an issue of feeling too full, smoothies are a great way to sneak in nutritionally dense extra calories. (Add an avocado or some peanut butter to boost the calorie count.) Hang in there!

And OP, go to the doctor! Loss of appetite can be a symptom of all sorts of things and it's worth getting it checked out.
  • catt952
    catt952 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    You always have the option to get your thyroid checked. I remember in the first week or counting calories i thought my appetite was low too. Then i remembered that i obviously didn't gain weight from eating too little. Only three weeks or so in and my appetite is definitely there now. Other causes of low appetite are nutritional deficiencies such as zinc.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    when I first started exercising my appetite dramatically diminished. But after 3-4 weeks it came back with a vengeance, much to my disappointment! Take it while you got. But if it does continue maybe a doctors visit is in order, just in case.