Lost 50 pounds - still a long way to go, but...

Options
ChipChocolatePancake
ChipChocolatePancake Posts: 77 Member
edited February 2015 in Success Stories
rgmeajzx3uey.jpg
shr4rli78lu2.jpg

I have been morbidly obese since high school, and obese since about 2nd grade. Overweight my entire childhood, I never felt that I fit in (haha pun definitely intended!). I had lots of great friends, but I couldn't get a handle on my weight, despite being very active (i.e. Years of soccer, tap dancing, street hockey, rock climbing, and hiking). The second picture is from 2 and a half years ago, the summer after my sophomore year in college, when I hit my peak weight - 284 pounds.

Though I am still obese, I have come a long way. My biggest problem is with motivation. When you lose weight quickly, it is much easier to stay motivated. When it stretches out over several years, I often look in the mirror and see no progress, because the weight has come off so slowly. So, in order to show myself and others the change I have made, I put a current picture next to the old picture.

Thanks for reading :)

Replies

• ChipChocolatePancake
    ChipChocolatePancake Posts: 77 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Hmm this picture posting thing is very confusing...
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Are you giving yourself presents for every 10 pounds lost?
    I have one for every "zero" (210, 200, 190, etc.). (I count a zero if I weigh in at or below the "zero weight" for three days running.)

I also double up at 160 because not only do I get a "zero" present, I get a "BMI is under 30" present.

Presents (small, inexpensive, non-food) are a great way to keep your spirits up month after month.

Or go for a big one - I bought a bicycle. That wound up being about $600 after I also bought the basket, the gloves, the helmet, the bike lock, etc. :) I call it an investment which will pay off once spring hits. :)

Or new clothes, or a new exercise outfit.
  • Poodles56
    Options
    More power too you for this great idea! I think I will follow your example and just make picture of me in my bathing suit every month - not to publish it, just to motivate myself that slower weight loss is better and that I don't want to lose my muscles - just the darn fat!

Congratulations!
  • jnc777
    jnc777 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Fab, you can so see the difference & the I could definitely buy into the present idea :)
  • smkondy
    smkondy Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    You look great!!! Keep it up & you will reach your goal....good luck!!! B)
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    it's really obvious that you've lost lot of weight! congrats :# , just always go back to that old picture to remind yourself where you started !
  • bhdon
    bhdon Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Wow! Congratulations! When you feel your motivation lagging, pick up two 25 lb free weights to remind yourself of what you don't have to carry around any more. Amazing!
  • yasmine334
    yasmine334 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    you look great :wink:
  • opalsqueak007
    opalsqueak007 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    You look fab!
  • ChipChocolatePancake
    Options
    Haha sorry, it's the other way around! The top picture is now, and the bottom one is from 50 pounds ago!
    Congratulations! Are you giving yourself presents for every 10 pounds lost?
    I have one for every "zero" (210, 200, 190, etc.). (I count a zero if I weigh in at or below the "zero weight" for three days running.)

I also double up at 160 because not only do I get a "zero" present, I get a "BMI is under 30" present.

Presents (small, inexpensive, non-food) are a great way to keep your spirits up month after month.

Or go for a big one - I bought a bicycle. That wound up being about $600 after I also bought the basket, the gloves, the helmet, the bike lock, etc. :) I call it an investment which will pay off once spring hits. :)

Or new clothes, or a new exercise outfit.

Great idea! I should definitely start doing that!

My favorite part of losing weight is going through really old clothes in my closet and realizing that I fit into something now that didn't even fit me when I was a freshman in high school! It's almost like you're shopping in a store because there are so many "new" clothes that fit you. So, as a motivator, I hang one of these pieces up on my closet door and try it on once a week until it finally fits.
  • ChipChocolatePancake
    Options
    Poodles56 wrote: »
    More power too you for this great idea! I think I will follow your example and just make picture of me in my bathing suit every month - not to publish it, just to motivate myself that slower weight loss is better and that I don't want to lose my muscles - just the darn fat!

Congratulations!

You should definitely do that! It's the pictures that that tell the truth, not your mind!
  • ErinK09
    ErinK09 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    You look great!
  • ChipChocolatePancake
    Options
    bhdon wrote: »
    Wow! Congratulations! When you feel your motivation lagging, pick up two 25 lb free weights to remind yourself of what you don't have to carry around any more. Amazing!

Wow, what an amazing motivator!

Another one that I like to use is a list that I found on Pinterest comparing the amount of weight you have lost to funny objects, so for example,

12 pounds = a bald eagle
    50 pounds = a small bale of hay
    117 pounds = an average fashion model (and she's 5'11"!)

• denmar803
    denmar803 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    WELL DONE YOU GO GIRL
  • dinobomp
    dinobomp Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Wow , great job! You look so different already! You are very cute! Way to succeed!!
  • Cherp18
    Cherp18 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Beautiful!! You look amazing! Keep up the good work! :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!