Losing weight but not belly fat (can anyone see why?)

Options
2»

Replies

• joewinfield91
    joewinfield91 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    This was my first time using the forums and I must say the MyFitnessPal community is amazing! Thanks for all the replies and tips guys, really helps and makes me more positive about this :)
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Athos282 wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    That could work for some people I would guess. The general recommendation is .8 grams of protein per lb of body weight OR 1 gram per lb of LBM.

I will defer to the calves.

hehehe
  • Archon2
    Archon2 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    There are two kinds of fat that contribute to your belly size. Visceral (the stuff inside with your organs) and subcutaneous fat, which is just under the skin. The visceral pushes out the gut and the subcutaneous is another layer of padding over that.

It takes a while to get rid of enough of this stuff before you see a difference. Especially for men.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Just chiming in with some numbers:

I definitely lose weight last in my stomach. The last few months, it took 7 weeks of sustained weight loss, about 10 pounds (very visible on my legs and upper torso in particular), before I saw even 1/2-inch difference on my lower stomach. I don't think you can tell by looking, but whatever! I'm very proud of that half inch.

It's slow, but it *does* happen. Keep the faith.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit + retaining lean body mass is the formula to getting lean. Once you get your body fat percentage low enough, you will notice it coming off the midsection more. Genetics also plays a role. For me, the last place I lost fat was from my lower back and lower midsection. Just keep up the calorie deficit and doing what you can do to retain lean body mass and the belly fat will eventually go away.