Logging Exercise

I am debating on not logging my exercise anymore. Reason being that it kind of screws me up seeing those calories added back to my remaining total. I am thinking it may be best and I can get faster results if I quit eating back those calories. I will listen to my body of course and if I feel like there is a time I legitamately feel that I need that extra intake, I will. Any suggestions? Ideas? Experieces?

I am trying to lose 10-13 pounds before April 1st. I am currently 5'5 and 163lbs, size 8. I work out 5 days a week with a mixture of intense cardio and moderate lifting.

Replies

• When logging exercise it ask how many calories burned.... how do u know how many you burn for say Jumping jacks??
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    curious - we have similar stats - what is your calorie limit for MFP? They had me at 1200 but I checked my TDEE and bumped it up a bit. I know what you mean, though - I can't figure out if I should be eating less ... or more. There is conflicting information out there. Or it's nebulous and no one really knows ...
  • joneallen
    joneallen Posts: 217 Member
    You're body needs the extra calories for fuel when you exercise. Just add a few, and tweak as you see fit.
  • Hi gals, I am just starting myfitnesspal and I know that my 5 minutes of yoga sun salutation busts my metabolism. I am 53, 5foot6.5 and I way 166. But I have been slowly gaining for the last 2 years. Any help on how to count this exercise. I also life weights for a couple minutes every day. they have me at 1240 calories a day to loose a pound a week. that seems harsh - but maybe not. I have never been this old before ;)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    I am debating on not logging my exercise anymore. Reason being that it kind of screws me up seeing those calories added back to my remaining total. I am thinking it may be best and I can get faster results if I quit eating back those calories. I will listen to my body of course and if I feel like there is a time I legitamately feel that I need that extra intake, I will. Any suggestions? Ideas? Experieces?

I am trying to lose 10-13 pounds before April 1st. I am currently 5'5 and 163lbs, size 8. I work out 5 days a week with a mixture of intense cardio and moderate lifting.

It looks like you normally eat somewhere in the 1200-1400 calorie range. If you are exercising 5 days a week, that's a bit low (IMO anyway.) I would say that eating back the exercise calories would be better than not. Is there a reason why you must lose the weight by April 1?
  • sarbear112084
    sarbear112084 Posts: 19 Member
    Thanks for the input everyone. I think I will keep logging and eat back partial. Lgutches, MFP had be at 1200. Somedays I am okay with that, but sometimes it's hard to stay that low. I bumped it up to 1300. I'm sure some will disagree with this but alot of the times, I don't count calories that come some veggies so my food diary isn't 100% accurate. My thought is, no one got fat off eating too much lettuce. So I don't count/log calories from my romaine lettuce, or a zucchini, tomatoes, green beans, broccoli, cauliflower. I just count what I add to them or cook them in. Veggies like lima beans or peas, I do count. I'm unsure if I should be eating 1200 or a bit more too, so to kind of play with both....somedays I will eat 1200 and some 1500.
  • sarbear112084
    sarbear112084 Posts: 19 Member
    It's not that I 'must'. It's just my goal. I booked my first time ever photoshoot, so ideally I would like to be as close to my goal as possible. I'd even be happy with 6-8 pounds by then. I want to feel and look a bit trimmer for the attire that I will be wearing.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Hi gals, I am just starting myfitnesspal and I know that my 5 minutes of yoga sun salutation busts my metabolism. I am 53, 5foot6.5 and I way 166. But I have been slowly gaining for the last 2 years. Any help on how to count this exercise. I also life weights for a couple minutes every day. they have me at 1240 calories a day to loose a pound a week. that seems harsh - but maybe not. I have never been this old before ;)

I would log it as yoga under the cardio tab, but you're only burning about 15 calories in five minutes. Weights go under the strength tab.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    You have chosen (by the settings you selected) a weight loss goal with a tool that assumes you will log and eat back your exercise calories.
    If you don't want to do it that way then go to a TDEE calculator instead - custom set your goal here and don't log exercise.
    The numbers actually work out very close.

Choose a tool and then use that tool as designed.

You will get away with heavy exercise and a huge deficit for a short time but don't be fooled that is sustainable or healthy.