Kaniwa-thought you should know.

Options
Grimmerick
Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
edited February 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Great little grain, kinda like quinoa but smaller and the best part, it's 60% of your daily value of iron in one serving. Great for Vegetarians, Vegans or those who need more iron in their diet or don't absorb iron well. You can use it just like quinoa, cooks the same, 2 parts water 1 part kaniwa. I make mine in a rice cooker. You can get it at any whole foods or health food store. Thought you should know.

Anybody else got any unknowns or things with surprising amounts of vitamins or minerals.

Replies

• chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    You mean Quinoa, right?
  • Grimmerick
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Noper, it's like that but they call it Kaniwa and it has way way way more iron than quinoa, otherwise they would just call it quinoa silly ;P
  • flamingblades
    flamingblades Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    never heard of it but I do shop Whole Foods...I will have to look for it and try it. Thanx for the tip! :D
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I will have to give this a try! I'm having a horrid time with my iron levels AND the article I read on this grain said it doesn't have the bitterness that Quinoa has.
  • Grimmerick
    Options
    Raynne413 wrote: »
    I will have to give this a try! I'm having a horrid time with my iron levels AND the article I read on this grain said it doesn't have the bitterness that Quinoa has.

yea it doesn't have saponen or something like that that can give quinoa a kind of bitter flavor if not rinsed well.
    Also be sure to eat Vitamin C (tomatoes,red bell peppers etc) with your iron. It aids in absorption. But stay away from Calcium during high iron meals because it can block iron absorption.

• Raynne413
    Options

yea it doesn't have saponen or something like that that can give quinoa a kind of bitter flavor if not rinsed well.
    Also be sure to eat Vitamin C (tomatoes,red bell peppers etc) with your iron. It aids in absorption. But stay away from Calcium during high iron meals because it can block iron absorption.

Thanks! The calcium is probably part of my problem due to protein shakes and my love of using Greek yogurt. And cheese!!

• snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I will have to look for it. Do you know the calorie content?
  • Raynne413
    Options
    I found some on nuts.com. If I remember correctly it was around 170 calories for 50g. 8g of protein and around 13% or Iron RDA.
  • Grimmerick
    Options
    Interesting. I will have to look for it. Do you know the calorie content?
    I believe it is 160 calories for 1 cup (1/4 cup dry)
  • Grimmerick
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I found some on nuts.com. If I remember correctly it was around 170 calories for 50g. 8g of protein and around 13% or Iron RDA.
    hmmm the one I have is 60% iron for one serving. the brand is Roland
  • Raynne413
    Options
    hmmm the one I have is 60% iron for one serving. the brand is Roland

I like Roland's products! I'll look on amazon. They have everything!!