Cravings and water isn't curving the want

Options
I've just begun the weight loss journey again and was curious what do you do to curve a craving that's not a healthy choice?

Replies

• hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Eat it.

Try to stay within your calories for the day. But think about it this way: You've been craving chocolate, for example. You say "I can't have that!" and wait until a more leinant/splurge/free/cheat/whatever you call it day. You're going to eat 238239823 pounds of chocolate. Well, if you're anything like me, you will. haha. Have a small square of a dark chocolate.

We don't have to deprive ourselves of anything. Good luck!
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Fit whatever you want to eat into your daily calories. There is no need to deprive ourselves of anything.
  • inisor11
    Options
    What I usually do is try to stick within my daily calorie goal but sometimes that's just not possible , so sometimes i give in and let myself have it, while it might not be for everyone o have learnt from trial and error that if i don't let myself have the craving and wait about an hour or so later i end up having it and then binging on everything else in the house aswell
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    There are websites that list what nutrients you want when you have certain cravings. Try and google them and see if that helps. I don't know any food craving which water will eliminate, but I get the point of trying to stay really full with water.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I eat it. If I eat something else and hope it goes away I will just end up eating both... Sometimes it takes a day or two before I can fit it in my calories if it's a high calorie item though.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I eat it, controlling the portion.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/jgnatca/view/halting-a-binge-session-715131

I treat my subconscious hedonist as a gentle elephant and my rational mind as the tentative driver. If the elephant is determined to take the left fork in the road, I might be able to coax it in a different direction. Might. What I don't want is a rampaging elephant.

I love my breads. For the past eight months I crave rough sour breads like sourdough and pumpernickel. I keep it on hand at all times, sliced thin, in the freezer. I toast one slice at a a time and spread it with peanut butter or Philadelphia cream cheese. I savour every bite.

In my old life a loaf of bread might disappear mindlessly in a single day. Nowadays my bread lasts a couple months.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,266 Member
    Options
    I fit it into my day OR I will wait until a day I know I can fit it. So if I am craving, say, pizza, I will see if it will work in today. If it will, then I have it. If it won't, then I do something else and get pizza tomorrow.

Then again, I have been craving pizza all week and have yet to have it because I want it from a specific place that is very out of the way for me and doesn't deliver here. *sigh*
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    eat it, move on, repeating what others already said.
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Exactly what everyone else says! For me, it's chocolate. And breakfast pastries. And bacon. ALL of the bacon. And..well... everything else that will give me a big, giant booty.

Instead of giving in, I either treat myself occasionally, or I work my cravings into my diet. I've also found that by giving myself the room to still enjoy my favorite goodies, I'm less likely to completely fall off the wagon, and then when I sit down with a small bag of m&m's or plate of bacon, the treat lasts longer than 3 seconds and I enjoy myself a lot more.

200.gif

• Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I will eat it but make sure that I am staying within my calorie count for the day.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Usually ignore it... Depends what it is. If I have enough calories I will eat it.
  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Depends really. A lot of times I usually eat it, just making it fit into my day. If It's a day that I know I can't fit it in, or want to hold off until later in the day, I will chew a piece of Extra gum. The flavor is really strong and lasts a long time, so it usually outlasts the craving. If I still want it by the time the flavor of the gum is gone, I go ahead and have it