Walking as one of the keys to losing weight

Options
I've been walking a lot lately, trying to hit the 10,000 steps per day that you hear so much about. I've gotta say that it's been great! The only hard part is finding the time so, I started eating lunch at my desk then walking during lunch time.

I try to walk every day and on the days that I take my walks, I just kind of feel better. The fresh air, etc. I take my Kindle reader with me and read while I walk so I don't get bored. Exercise always bores me and, I've never enjoyed the gym. The amazing thing is the amount of calories I burn! I've been using the fitness app on my phone to track the calories, Samsung S-fit, it's called.

At first I was hesitant to log the calories because the calories expended seemed very high. After some research, I learned that the data input to the app to establish the baseline is an expression of the calories required to maintain weight with no activity, the TDEE. Any activity, just walking from the car into the office takes energy, It's about 400 steps for me from the parking lot to me desk. For me, because of my weight, I use one calorie for every 11 steps, about 35 calories to walk from my car to my desk.

It all counts towards losing a pound.

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    True. Every little bit of activity helps :smile:
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    I walk to and from work each day which equates to around 5 miles, so around 11,000 steps. I log it. I view the mfp calorie goal as sort of a rough estimate anyway and it seems like a low estimate. I have to rely on how my body reacts to calories in order to test the accuracy regardless.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Walking is the best exercise!
  • Amduc
    Amduc Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I love walking. In the spring and summer I walk 2 miles every morning and LOVE IT!!! However fall and winter are my struggling months where I have to use the "dreadmill". Good job on finding the time and motivation!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Amduc wrote: »
    I love walking. In the spring and summer I walk 2 miles every morning and LOVE IT!!! However fall and winter are my struggling months where I have to use the "dreadmill". Good job on finding the time and motivation!

Bahahaha "Dreadmill". Love it ! :D:p
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Walking is great for your health and helps to increase the deficit.
  • Aviva92
    Options
    Amduc wrote: »

yeah, i force myself to walk to and from work in winter too. it is not pleasant.
  • jumblejups
    jumblejups Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of walking. I was a bit weak physically due to health reasons about 2 years ago, so I decided to slowly start walking to more of my destinations and increasing my capacity to do that. I now feel like it's pointless to get on a bus or train for anything under 2 miles away (unless it involves crossing a motorway!), and I've bought good boots, coat etc for winter - although winter isn't severe here so it's just cold and wet and windy, no blizzards or anything. I got a Fitbit recently to get a better idea of my activity levels and was really surprised that on one day in my first week, I was just under 20,000 steps. I find 10,000 steps relatively easy to fit into my day and I burn way more calories that way, so it is also helping me to maintain a deficit in my diet that can include things that are calorie dense, as I don't want to get lost (a long way down the road) when I transition to maintenance and I don't want butter to be a once-a-week spread :wink:
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    markja wrote: »
    I've been walking a lot lately, trying to hit the 10,000 steps per day that you hear so much about. I've gotta say that it's been great! The only hard part is finding the time so, I started eating lunch at my desk then walking during lunch time.

I try to walk every day and on the days that I take my walks, I just kind of feel better. The fresh air, etc. I take my Kindle reader with me and read while I walk so I don't get bored. Exercise always bores me and, I've never enjoyed the gym. The amazing thing is the amount of calories I burn! I've been using the fitness app on my phone to track the calories, Samsung S-fit, it's called.

At first I was hesitant to log the calories because the calories expended seemed very high. After some research, I learned that the data input to the app to establish the baseline is an expression of the calories required to maintain weight with no activity, the TDEE. Any activity, just walking from the car into the office takes energy, It's about 400 steps for me from the parking lot to me desk. For me, because of my weight, I use one calorie for every 11 steps, about 35 calories to walk from my car to my desk.

Pedantic nitpick: you have confused TDEE with BMR. BMR is Base Metabolic Rate - the base rate with no activity. TDEE is Total Daily Energy Expenditure - and includes ALL calories expended throughout the day for ALL activities.

• markja
    markja Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Cool. Thanks foe the clarification.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options

Did I read this correctly? You read while you walk?
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Yeah, you might want to watch where you're going. Just a thought.

Totally agree about walking, though. I feel better on the days when I get outside for some fresh air and exercise, too. Even in this frigid winter weather, I can usually manage to get a walk in.
  • Aviva92
    Options

I used to read the internet lots during my 2.5 mile walk to work, but then I mysteriously kept going over my data limit for some reason and had to cut down on that. Probably almost got hit by a car a few times, so it's for the best.
  • pinkshoelaces
    pinkshoelaces Posts: 111 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Walking is probably 60 percent of my exercise. I add a little running and biking and strength training in as well, but for the most part brisk incline walking is one of my favorite forms of exercise. It's definitely toned up my thighs and isn't nearly as hard on the knees as running.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    love my fitbit

I often get the same calorie benefit from a 10K step day as I would from a 30 - 40 minute workout in the gym

I credit walking more .. getting up from my desk at lunchtime, and taking the dog out .. for my reaching my goal and for my dog constantly barking at me and jumping up whenever I put my coat on :grinning:
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Walking is my go-to. It started with 20 mins slow downhill once/week. Gradual increase.

Fast forward four years, now I'm a nationwide certified bicycling instructor.

I walk as restitution or for pleasure for at least 1 hour/day. Lately I must concentrate if I need to go slowly, cause I love walking fast!

I've created good music playlists and also listen to podcasts.
  • likehlikeo
    likehlikeo Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I walk 10k to work every morning, since I have a high energy dog and take him to the office. We walk an hour during lunch break as well and usually for 2-3 hours every day of the weekend. I use runkeeper to log all of that and estimate my calories based on distance, speed and weight. I love the fact that I burned off my breakfast when I reached the office :smile:
  • markja
    markja Posts: 270 Member
    Options

Yup. I read when I walk. It's a habit I picked up in the Air Force when I needed to stay awake to study. It's hard to fall asleep when you're walking:) It's not for everyone but, there are folks who don't like Tabasco or bacon, too.

Rules: Don't read and walk in parking lots. Crowded shopping areas are not a good choice. If your surroundings are sketchy then you're walking in the wrong place. Parks are very good, so are long stretches of uninterrupted sidewalks. College campuses are great and so are athletic tracks, just keep to the outside lane.

When you're reading and walking, you can tell when you're coming to a driveway or a traffic light; you still have spatial awareness and perception.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Just out of curiosity, what is your walking speed while you are reading?
    Cheers, h.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Just out of curiosity, what is your walking speed while you are reading?
    Cheers, h.
    Can't be more than a mile or two an hour, whereas not reading is easily three mph.