Help Chosing a Blender/Food Processor

Options
1992Leigh1992
1992Leigh1992 Posts: 100 Member
So I wanted some advice for buying a food processor/ blender because I'm not sure exactly what I need, but I have come across things I would like to make that call for either of them.

I want to be able to make falafel and pesto, and to easily make any kind of recipe for lentil burgers, making smoother soups ect. I would probably also use it for making fruit smoothies and iced coffee.
I have seen someone follow a falafel recipe that called for a food processor, but instead used a blender and we couldn't achieve the right texture for cooking. So I'm assuming it wasn't powerful enough? Or that it needs to be a processor and not a blender?

My budget is $150 (AU). So if I am unable to find something in that price range that can make falafel, I would be better off just going with a simple blender for smoothies/ect.

Someone informed me that they found it easy to make falafel with a Philips Viva food processor. They seem to be around the $140-$150 mark at the moment.

I'm also open to buying second-hand, particularly if there is an older model or product that might do the job.
But it would really help me to hear about whether anyone else here owns a food processor or blender, what kind it is, how much they paid, and what they use it for.
Any advice would be much-loved.

Replies

• ActuarialChef
    ActuarialChef Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    Not sure of the intricacies of making falafel, but I make hummus in my KitchenAid 9-cup food processor just fine. The trick is to remove the "skins" of the chickpeas to get it smooth and creamy.

I think it might be over your budget, but they do make smaller versions.

I live by my KitchenAid products. They stand the test of time, too - both of my grandmothers and my mom have had KitchenAid products for years and years and KitchenAid backs up their products if anything goes wrong.

As for a blender.. I'm in the market and will probably get the KitchenAid one. :)
  • ActuarialChef
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Not sure of the intricacies of making falafel, but I make hummus in my KitchenAid 9-cup food processor just fine. The trick is to remove the "skins" of the chickpeas to get it smooth and creamy.

I think it might be over your budget, but they do make smaller versions.

I live by my KitchenAid products. They stand the test of time, too - both of my grandmothers and my mom have had KitchenAid products for years and years and KitchenAid backs up their products if anything goes wrong.

As for a blender.. I'm in the market and will probably get the KitchenAid one. :)

Oh I forgot - I use my food processor for pretty much everything. I shred cheese, "grind" meat by pulsing a few times, make black bean burgers, shred cabbage and carrots to make slaw, etc. etc.

My fiance got it for me for Christmas in 2013, but I believe he paid $150 USD. Here's a link to the one I have (they make it in many colors though): KitchenAid 9-Cup Food Processor with Exact Slice System - Onyx Black
  • SunflowerCat74
    SunflowerCat74 Posts: 258 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I will also second the kitchenaid food processor. I use it for hummus, biscuit dough, slicing semi frozen meat thinly for stir fries, slicing/grating/shredding veggies, pesto!!!!
    I do not use it for soup. Instead I have a kitchenaid immersion blender for soups. Love it!!! No making messes pouring burning hot liquids. Seriously...that's a hazard. I use it a lot - love that it has a whisk attachment and a small food chopper (used for the veggies in my lettuce wraps we ate for dinner tonight)

I have a high end blender too. Bought it 7 years ago and never even took it out of the box.
  • SunflowerCat74
    SunflowerCat74 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Correction...my food processor us a cuisinart 11 cup...going on 13 years of abuse.
    If you can get a quality food processor - even used, it'd be a really good investment if you are going to do more serious cooking.
    Oh and I forgot I use it to make salsa...by the boatloads!
  • kellycasey5
    kellycasey5 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I had an old Oster blender with ice crush function that did a great job with smoothies/frozen fruit, dips, etc. They can be purchased for about $40 and really are worth every penny. Then my mom got me a vitamix blender that I use for about everything and of course love. But, for the price, the Oster was fine for most of my needs.
  • waxflower
    Options
    I've had my hamilton beach bowl scraper food processor for a year or so and use it all the time to make hummus and chop up chickpea burgers (so...big falafel haha), and smooth soups, etc. I don't use it for liquids much but I'm sure it would be ok in small batches. I like it a lot, especially because I do not have to remove the lid every so often to push down the ingredients (there is a build in scraper in the bowl and it works for most things).
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I have a Nutri-Ninja. It has both blender and food processor attachment plus cups to make smoothies to go. It's pretty powerful. I can use it for just about anything including doughs. I think my fiance paid $120 for it.
  • ActuarialChef
    Options
    I will also second the kitchenaid food processor. I use it for hummus, biscuit dough, slicing semi frozen meat thinly for stir fries, slicing/grating/shredding veggies, pesto!!!!
    I do not use it for soup. Instead I have a kitchenaid immersion blender for soups. Love it!!! No making messes pouring burning hot liquids. Seriously...that's a hazard. I use it a lot - love that it has a whisk attachment and a small food chopper (used for the veggies in my lettuce wraps we ate for dinner tonight)

I have a high end blender too. Bought it 7 years ago and never even took it out of the box.
    Correction...my food processor us a cuisinart 11 cup...going on 13 years of abuse.
    If you can get a quality food processor - even used, it'd be a really good investment if you are going to do more serious cooking.
    Oh and I forgot I use it to make salsa...by the boatloads!

Damn I was getting kiiiinda jealous that your FP came with a whisk attachment, then you had to say it was a Cuisinart instead. Damnit haha I wanted that attachment!!!