Low on Iron

Options
funjen1972
funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
edited February 2015 in Food and Nutrition
I am consistently low on iron...not anemic, but not meeting the daily requirements. Any suggestions? I only eat meat 4-5 days a week and rarely consume red meat. I eat lots of veggies, whole grains, beans, dark leafy greens, etc....

Replies

• funjen1972
    Options
    Sorry, posted in wrong thread...how do I move it?
  • funjen1972
    Options
    *whew* just figured it out lol
  • ibamosaserreinas
    ibamosaserreinas Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I am pretty much borderline anemic/low iron all the time.

1. Balsamic vinegar has a surprising amount of iron in it. I use it on salads all the time.

2. I check the back of every single dark chocolate bar at Whole Foods regularly. Sometimes you can find some that have as much as 60% your daily need in one serving. (I rarely eat a whole serving because that is a lot of chocolate but a square every other day or so.)

3. Cocoa powder is often a low calorie source of iron. I add it to protein shakes.

4. Some protein shakes (Premier Protein) have 25% of your daily iron requirements.

All of these things help me stay up on it.
  • stayfitalways101
    Options
    Oatmeal
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I've said it before and I'll say it again eat oysters canned smoked, eat cashews, eat dried apricots, saute spinach with red peppers eat it, eat garbonzo beans, get yourself a abox of shreddies ot total cereal eat it for breakfast, don't have caffeinated drinks with your meals.
  • funjen1972
    Options
    Sorry, I'm new here so I haven't heard you say that before. Thanks for the info...oysters are a surprise to me, but I love them so they'll be an addition. Oatmeal is breakfast most mornings, but I could go wild & switch it up with shreddies lol
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're getting enough C to absorb the iron you're already taking in. Back when I could still eat cereal, I used Total, and now I mainly just focus on eggs, spinach and meats for it. Was surprised at how much was in peanut butter, though.

Is it low in terms of MFP tracking low, or low your doctor is concerned low? Mine has me use pre-natals once a week if I don't get enough in (they're 150% rda iron). Supplements help, but you have to be careful not to use them too much, because iron is also one of the things you can overdo and cause organ damage.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    There is a supplement I like, its SpaTone iron water. Its not a horrendous dose, tastes like an iron pipe, but not bad. I get the one with vitiman c in it, green apple flavored. I get mine at Walgreens, was gonna post a pic of it but can't seem to do that from mobile.

You could also invest in cast iron cookware.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    PurAbsorb by spatone. 1packet 10cal, 5mg iron (28% RDA), 80mg vitiman C (133%rda) suppose to be natural spring in the UK.