More muscle mass - hungrier?

Options
Muscles burn calories, so when I build more muscle, my TDEE will be higher, right?

I (female) have been lifting for a year, so I might have built 4-5lbs of LBM. (Pessimistic estimate because most of the time I was on a deficit.)

Still, I have no clue how I used to survive on 1400 calories a day. I cannot live on 1600 these days!! Anyone else hungrier than before?
I still lose when I actually stick to 1600 or 1700. But it is almost harder now than before!

Replies

• cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Muscle burns a *few* more calories per pound than fat, but not really enough to make a dent in TDEE.

More likely, you are hungrier because you are lifting--your body wants fuel to repair your muscles and make them (ever so slowly) grow. I get *crazy* hungry on lifting days.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    Muscle burns a *few* more calories per pound than fat, but not really enough to make a dent in TDEE.

More likely, you are hungrier because you are lifting--your body wants fuel to repair your muscles and make them (ever so slowly) grow. I get *crazy* hungry on lifting days.

I don't get hungry on lifting days. But if I don't eat enough I'm hungry. 1600 ISN'T a lot of food. Your ticker indicates that you already met your loss goals... so why would you eat 1600 calories?