Getting fit for a goal, and keeping motivated?

Options
Hi everyone! I've tried many times in the past to 'lose weight quick', and as anyone who has ever tried a crash diet can tell you, it's not worth it. I decided in September of 2014 that I was going to push myself and finally get skinny, which lasted about two weeks. This time around I've set myself a goal. My husband and I will be doing a mud run together in April, my first, his fifth. I'm overweight, can't run more than 20 yards without losing my breath, and can only barely pull my bodyweight up, but I have three months to train the best I can. I'd like to lose 14lbs before then, which is a low goal, but I'm scared I'm going to give up again. How would you all suggest I keep myself motivated when I hit the wall that makes me want to quit?

Replies

• amccoll83
    amccoll83 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Why not set yourself some baby steps goals? Lose 3 lbs. by the end of this month? Run around your block nonstop? I like to break my goals down into measurable variables and that way I can see how I'm progressing along the way. I'm currently training for a half marathon. I'm not about to go and run 21k.. No. I started off with running 3k.. then 3.5k then 4k etc. You have plenty of time to train and since this isn't your husbands first mud run, I'm sure he can help guide you along the way.

Accountability is huge. If you want to learn to run, look for a running room store or something of the equivalent in your area. You can join a group and learn to run together :) Bring some good music to pump you up and just enjoy being outdoors away from the tv and other distractions :)
  • Soccermavrick
    Soccermavrick Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    A group through a store or Meet-Up (which is not a dating site) for a runners group might help. Though I will say this. Start slow, but regularly. Day one Run for a minute, walk for three, then run for another minute, then walk two, etc.. until you have done a mile. Plan to do it three to four days aa week. This way your body starts to get used to distance, while you are also going for cardio. (There is also an App I liked called C25k - Couch to running a 5K. Most mud runs are between 3 to 5 miles, but due to the obsticles, it is not straight running, so if you can run a 5k, you should be able to handle the Mud Run.)

Another thing, this is not a diet, it is a lifestyle change. Diets are not maintainable over long periods.