first house

Options

Replies

• crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Two sets of linens - sheets, towels, dishcloths, etc. There will be days where something is unacceptably dirty and you don't have time to wash it.
  • neva4saken
    neva4saken Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    well i havent seen it mentioned yet but i know you said the little things but something that ppl often over look is homeowners insurance. the type that covers your appliances as well, my wife before we married water heater went out and it would've cost her a whole lot of money but since she had homeowners she only paid $75 where as it couldve cost $2000. Our HVAC went out two days ago and we have a slow FREON leak and it's so expensive now a days that it would cost us either $700 for recharge and service or thousands of dollars replacing the whole system, but since we have insurance it's only costing us $75 - 150.

oh yea i saw a lot of little things for your kitchen while you're at get the lemon drops that go in your garbage disposal, along with the cleaning packets for your garbage disposal. You run the disposal with hot water and then drop a packet in and it foams, cleans, disinfects your disposal and plumbing under your kitchen sink.
  • uneik3
    uneik3 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Be careful you don't go overboard though! Get a few essentials and some all-purpose cleaner, and just pick up those details as you need them. I went overboard (and spent way too much money on little things after dropping all my money on my house) and bought a lot more than I needed right away. Accumulate it over time, it won't be such a hit to your bank account, and you'll end up with what you actually need. I still haven't used the stainless steel cleaner I bought nearly 4 years ago!
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    I think you should unpack those boxes and find some proper attire.
    If your married and showing your azz all over MFP, its kinda disrespectful.
    New house new outfit.
  • Richie2shoes
    Richie2shoes Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Lawnmower, weed trimmer, rake, shovel, snow shovel, shop vac, plunger, 4 ft drain snake and the number of a good plumber and handyman.
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    also, good knives and a cutting board
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    New house new outfit.

player hater
  • mbelle97
    mbelle97 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    A swiffer!! Great for floors without carpet.
  • karl39x
    karl39x Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    You need: dog, moat, drawbridge, angry cat, and a shot gun.
  • Cp731
    Options
    New house new outfit.

player hater

[img]http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff458/dearlylovedaimee/Funny Animated Gifs/Glee-Naya-LMAO.gif[/img]

[img]http://i755.photobucket.com/albums/xx195/skez520mia/FUNNY CRAZY AND AWESOME GIFS/PANTSzER0.gif[/img]
  • MFPRat
    MFPRat Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Paper towels
    Toilet paper
    Cleaning supplies
    Vacuum cleaner
    Lawn mower
    Basic tool box
    Duct tape (if it's moving and it's not supposed to)
    WD40 (if it's supposed to move and isn't)
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Add a can opener to your list. A handheld can opener will work just fine (:

OMG this dont forget the can opener. I'm a bit jealous that youre getting to buy a home without having to do the apartment step. Good for you guys.

Spatuals, tuperware, rags and old towels (you'll need them for some of the dirty jobs), someone mentioned a spotbot or spot cleaner thats great if you have carpet, cutting board, colander, extra blankets for when it gets chilly, fans, a couple really good knives, utility scissors, box cutter, long lighter, tub and toilet cleaner, toilet bowel brush, toilet plunger, 3M hooks different sizes, nails, screws, screw driver, hammer, bathmat and tub liner if it's slippery, shower curtain, shower rods, shower hooks, tape scotch masking, packing and duct, mop, floor cleaner, a good duster, and handy husband. Oh and trash cans and maybe a trash bin and trash bags and old plastic bags.

Have fun there will always be something you forget, but it's fun outfitting your home.
  • Cp731
    Options
    If you're married and showing your azz all over MFP, it's kinda disrespectful.
    New house new outfit.

*singing*

Come on, babe

Why don't you paint the town?

And all that azz

You're gonna rouge your knees

And roll your stockings down

And all that azz

[img]http://i1327.photobucket.com/albums/u661/Sent_With_Love1/Gif Time/tumblr_lz7acfW2Ka1qcmwp4o1_400_zps3c2bb7c7.gif[/img]

Ow! Curtains for your windows.
  • teagirlmedium
    teagirlmedium Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Batteries, zip lock bags, dish rack and a fly swatter.
  • MagicalLeopleurodon
    MagicalLeopleurodon Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    he bought it to show my bum off ;)

something about 300lb deadlift arm candy?
  • Kilokata
    Kilokata Posts: 111
    Options
    my hubs and i are hopefully about to buy our first house. it got me thinking...we dont own towels. or plates. or silverware. i have a vaccuum, and a coffee pot. i dont have my own cookware.

but then there are the smaller things-like toilet plungers and brooms.

so i started thinking of all the things it takes to have a functional home, and some are so obscure you barely notice.them until theyre missing.

What are some things you can think of that are neccessary to have in your own homw? :)

Yeah, when I bought my first house I didn't even think about all the crap I'd need to get to fill it up.

Washer, dryer, furniture, shelving, vacuum cleaner, carpet shampooer if you have a lot of carpet, light bulbs, lamps, food (staples), cleaning supplies, extra blankets for guest room/sheets, new fixtures to replace old stuff, new television for downstairs family room, garden hose, lawnmower, weed eater, enough dishes/bowls/cups/glasses/liquor and flatware for guests, really I could go on for hours.

I had STUFF before I bought a house, but not enough stuff to fill up 2500 sq ft... and if you don't buy stuff, it just feels empty. :(

Yay for consumerism? :(
  • mustang289
    mustang289 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    all the tool set people: my husband is a plumber and works on classic cars at home....im so excitee to put all his (FIVE. FIVE!!!) toolboxes in the garage!

FIVE tool boxes?!?
    So he's fairly new to the business? Pretty soon that will grow to TEN! LOL
    Check out garage journal dot com for real tool fanatics