kitchen scale problems

Options
I finally bought a kitchen scale but it only measures in ounces not grams. Should I just bring the darn thing back??

Replies

• obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    No. Work on your diet AND your math at the same time! Fun with fractions.
  • arobed53
    arobed53 Posts: 2,004 Member
    Options
    I actually prefer ounces but a lot of things in MFP are in grams. I just use google to figure what I need cause usually I haven't changed the scale. I like having both myself.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options

Ewwww. No maths!
  • jaxxkida
    jaxxkida Posts: 27 Member
    Options

Grrrrr I was never good in math LOL!
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    If you weigh things in grams, yes, return it. If you almost never do then don't bother. I would never buy one without grams. Just bought a new one in fact because my other 2 scales die wtihin 3 weeks of use :/
  • jaxxkida
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    If you weigh things in grams, yes, return it. If you almost never do then don't bother. I would never buy one without grams. Just bought a new one in fact because my other 2 scales die wtihin 3 weeks of use :/

I have never weighed so not sure. I think I will bring it back.

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    jaxxkida wrote: »

Yeah get one with grams!
  • obscuremusicreference
    Options
    Before you bring it back, have you tried pushing all the buttons to make sure it doesn't switch modes?
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    I weigh meats in ounces. Ice cream in grams. I would get a different one to make life easier.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    The scale we bought has several measures including, ounces pounds, kilograms and grams. If yours doesn't, there is an app called convert that works easily with all sorts of measurements in addition to weights.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Get one with grams/ounces - combination.
  • jaxxkida
    Options
    The one I bought is from walmart for $20-Taylor Trust. There is only one button. On and Off. Did not come with instructions. I am going to bring it back I would rather weigh in grams.
  • obscuremusicreference
    edited February 2015
    Options
    The one I bought is from walmart for $20-Taylor Trust. There is only one button. On and Off. Did not come with instructions. I am going to bring it back I would rather weigh in grams.

I'm not familiar with that brand, but another thing you want is a "tare" function so you can zero out before and after you put dishes on your plate.

Edit: this is the one I have:

tzkqvf8a8s2g.jpg
  • jaxxkida
    Options

I'm not familiar with that brand, but another thing you want is a "tare" function so you can zero out before and after you put dishes on your plate.

Okay thank you I will make sure it has that too :smile:
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can be much more exact when weighing in grams, as 28 grams=1 oz. You also MUST have a "zero/tare" function.
  • rufferta
    rufferta Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I use a EatSmart Precision Pro Digital Kitchen Scale. It measures in both ounces and grams, and has the zero/Tare function. The advantage of the zero/tare function is that you can add ingredients, one at a time, and keep re-setting to zero after each addition so that you don't have to use a lot of other measures. For example, I start out with cooked oatmeal, go to zero, add my yogurt, then go to zero and add my raw walnuts. It looks like the scale in obsuremusic's post above.
  • ana3067
    Options

Might as well, better to have one with more options than one with too few options. Mine has g, oz, ml (unnecessary but eh) and I believe floz. or something else. No lbs but i don't usually weigh in lbs anyways.. unless the oz will roll over to lbs? hmm.
  • ana3067
    Options
    OP I have a Taylor brand now. It's circular, has the 4 options I listed rihgt above and it has a tare feature too. Unfortunately not AA batteries but that was all there was at the store :(
  • jaxxkida
    edited February 2015
    Options
    OP I have a Taylor brand now. It's circular, has the 4 options I listed rihgt above and it has a tare feature too. Unfortunately not AA batteries but that was all there was at the store :(
    They had another Taylor scale also so maybe it was that one.
  • ana3067
    Options
    They had another Taylor scale also so maybe it was that one.
    My first one was a different Taylor, flat and square, but the buttons were wonky so I returned it. This one has raised buttons, which I prefer. Fingers crossed this one works for me longer t han 3 weeks haha. Otherwise Amazon is a good place to check out for other brands/options!