Stronglifts 5x5 at home on a "home gym" cable machine?

Options
So, I started using the Stronglifts 5x5 app tonight. I have a Weider 8530 cable weight machine, and was able to bench, squat, and "barbell" row (bent over low pulley rows) no problem. However, it says go up 5lbs next time, and I don't really have that option. The equivalent resistance goes up in like 15-20 lb increments... For example, bench options are 20, 45, 70, 99, 128, 153, etc... I made it through 99 tonight - barely. Even if I had the option to go up, I'd probably stay there for another session at least. But there's absolutely no way I'm going to be able to jump all the way up to 128.

Has anyone else tried to do this program using this type of equipment? I can't afford a gym membership or a bunch of free-weights. Would you recommend just staying at the same weight for 3-4 sessions and then try to make the jump?

I wonder if they even make add-on weights in smaller increments... Anyone know? Guess I'll have to look into it...

Replies

• hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    With huge jumps like that I wouldn't do SL. You'll probably want to find a program that increases reps each time until you're ready for jump in weight. I don't have one to recommend...hopefully someone else knows of a program in that vein.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    You could grab some smaller weights and just put them on top of the other weights on the pulley system to make up smaller increments. The gym I go to has these. Obviously make sure you can secure them. The smaller weights shouldn't be too expensive
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I also have a machine that only allows for significant weight changes. I don't think there's much else that can be done but to keep working at a particular weight until you have gained enough strength to move up to the next weight. In other words, for bench pressing you may have to work up to 10-15 reps or so at the current weight you're at.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    gmallan wrote: »
    You could grab some smaller weights and just put them on top of the other weights on the pulley system to make up smaller increments. The gym I go to has these. Obviously make sure you can secure them. The smaller weights shouldn't be too expensive
    Yep....I've done some funny stuff like that. I have 2 sets of ankle weights with velcro bands. Each is 2.5 lbs, giving me 10 lbs range to play with.They were on sale for less than $10. I can do baby steps with those, and the velcro makes sure they stay in place. I have one of those cable home gyms, and as long as you don't pack on more that the max weight of the regular plates (the cables have their limits...) you should be fine.
    Happy lifting!
  • punchgut
    punchgut Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Sell it and purchase a bodycraft, bodysolid, powertec, or powerline power rack, barbell and weights. Takes up the same space and you'll be able to do all your compound exercises.
  • Angel_Grove_
    Angel_Grove_ Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    punchgut wrote: »
    Sell it and purchase a bodycraft, bodysolid, powertec, or powerline power rack, barbell and weights. Takes up the same space and you'll be able to do all your compound exercises.

Not really an option right now. The Weider is only worth about $200, so not enough to pay for all that. But will keep in mind for the future!
  • Angel_Grove_
    Options
    h7463 wrote: »
    gmallan wrote: »
    Yep....I've done some funny stuff like that. I have 2 sets of ankle weights with velcro bands. Each is 2.5 lbs, giving me 10 lbs range to play with.They were on sale for less than $10. I can do baby steps with those, and the velcro makes sure they stay in place. I have one of those cable home gyms, and as long as you don't pack on more that the max weight of the regular plates (the cables have their limits...) you should be fine.
    Happy lifting!

This is probably what I'll end up doing.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Honestly I don't think Stronglifts is the best program for you to do with the equipment you have. It's meant to be done with free weights. You can probably come up with a modified version for your cable machine, but the jumps in weigh you're working with are not at all ideal.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    You won't be able to do those compound lifts properly with a cable machine. It's intended to be done with a barbell.
  • Angel_Grove_
    Options
    Any suggestions for programs to use with a cable machine, then?
  • punchgut
    punchgut Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Here's a place to start reading. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/wotw35.htm

It's really hard to say what would be best given we're not sure what your goals are. With a cable system you cannot really build the strength through compound exercises like a SL program. It doesn't mean you can't affect very positive strength gains. Read about what other people have done and figure out a program that works for you with the equipment you have.

• Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to do SL with my cable machine. I understand it's not as "good" as with a barbell, but like the OP, I have to work with what I've got. Mine goes up by 10 lb increments, which is easier. I tend to skip a move up every time it tells me, and then when I do move up, I do three sets instead of 5. I'm going to check out that link from punchgut, to see if there's a better program.
  • Angel_Grove_
    Options
    I've been trying to do SL with my cable machine. I understand it's not as "good" as with a barbell, but like the OP, I have to work with what I've got. Mine goes up by 10 lb increments, which is easier. I tend to skip a move up every time it tells me, and then when I do move up, I do three sets instead of 5. I'm going to check out that link from punchgut, to see if there's a better program.

Does yours go up in linear increments - 10 lbs with each palte added? I'm trying to figure out how it's possible for mine to go up in such random increments, even though the same weight is added... Here are the increase increments for my press arm:

I would understand, perhaps, if the amount of the incerase was progressively higher or lower, each time, but it goes up up up, then down, then back up , then back down... I don't get it. But then, I never was that great at physics...