New to weight lifting but not sore the next day?

Options
I'm new to weight lifting (I'm two weeks in to this program: http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/12-week-beginners-training-routine.html), but I'm already getting addicted because of the way it makes me feel!

The bad news is, I'm not sore the next day. :huh:

I started with 1 set of 15 as the program suggests, but moved to 2 sets of 12 yesterday. I'm still not sore. I do the maximum weight I feel I can do with good form and still finish the set. I'm nearing failure by the last rep, so I don't think I can add more weights.

After the workout, my legs and arms are like jello, but I don't feel sore the next day (with the exception of my back and abs). Is this "normal"?

Replies

• ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    The bad news is, I'm not sore the next day.
    After the DOMS-filled weekend I had, I don't see how this is bad news. :P

But yeah, I can see why you would be concerned. Soreness after muscle training is common. But it's not cause for concern with people starting out, if they aren't getting sore. You aren't feeling any tightness though?

My wife never gets sore in her legs, even after she puts them through a lower day grinder. It's possible that your muscles adapt fast due to pre-existing endurance and whatnot. Just keep progressing with your program, and I would think you may start feeling some soreness/tightness at the next time you go up in weights and/or add extra sets.

If you go up another couple of weight levels and still don't feel sore/tight, in a few months from now, then come back here to the boards and let us know. At that point, I'll think you have got some great genes that promote recovery and you'll soon be recruited to the X-Men. heh
  • neintical
    neintical Posts: 20
    Options
    If you go up another couple of weight levels and still don't feel sore/tight, in a few months from now, then come back here to the boards and let us know. At that point, I'll think you have got some great genes that promote recovery and you'll soon be recruited to the X-Men. heh

Haha, That is a good one. I am gonna give this advice to a friend of mine who told me about the same problem.
  • Brandy3827
    Brandy3827 Posts: 42 Member
    Options

Ha! As far as super-human powers go I could think of a few more intriguing options, but I guess that may just have to do! :laugh: