Dont lose weight...

Options
2»

Replies

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Lyle McDonald also mentions that increased cortisol levels can cause massive water retention. This can happen when people eat too little and do a lot of cardio apparently, so it looks like they are not losing when in fact they are. At least, that's the theory he has.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Lyle McDonald also mentions that increased cortisol levels can cause massive water retention. This can happen when people eat too little and do a lot of cardio apparently, so it looks like they are not losing when in fact they are. At least, that's the theory he has.

Cortisol is the "stress" hormone so if someone is severely stressed out their body will produce high levels of cortisol . I believe I read somewhere that malnutrition can trigger it too. I'll have to see if I can find the link.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    Last thread not go so well?

Im confused...What other thread? And what does it have to do with this one?

Edited to get rid of annoying gif.
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I've lost 120 lbs. I find that now the inches are coming off quicker, they are more of a motivation. At the beginning I had to lose over 10 lbs per inch. Now it's closer to 2" for 10 lbs. I couldn't get calipers, and couldn't afford a DEXA to get an accurate idea of my body fat %. At the beginning, at least, the scale was more motivating than the measuring tape for me. Learning about water weight helped me understand what was going on with the scale, though. You forgot one important determinant of water rentention - HORMONES!
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    6J1Q

The one @DangerousDUCK started about girls and lifting weights, in which he pissed off nearly everyone.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    6J1Q

The one @DangerousDUCK started about girls and lifting weights, in which he pissed off nearly everyone.

Yeah I went and read some of that. It was funny to me.....went along for two pages with quite a bit of commentary from women and the OP that seemed just fine and all of the sudden a few people, both men and women decided to be butt hurt and raise a stink where none was needed and it went downhill from there. And I see the butt hurt couldn't stay in that thread, some had to drag it into this one. Got it. Just another day on MFP.
  • VixxyLiss
    VixxyLiss Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    VixxyLiss wrote: »
    So totally agree with this, we know that a muscle is less dense than fat so we can be the same weight but actually be smaller in size - I continually have arguments with my husband over this, he tells me that he's still ok because he hasn't put on weight and I tell him that he may not have put on weight but he is losing his muscles and gaining fat through poor food choices, too much alcohol and little to no exercise, therefore his body is getting bigger.

People get so hung up on how much weight they've lost when inches is actually a better way of looking at it - unless they're going to be a hardcore body builder - after all I don't go into a shop looking for clothes that fit someone who weighs 12st 5lb (errr I wish!), no I go looking for my actual size as determined by inches/cm or whatever it is!

We certainly don't know that. In fact, most of us *know* the opposite. Muscle is MORE dense than fat.

eeeek, sorry about that, wasn't concentrating properly at the time - I meant more dense, makes me look like a total noob!

Thanks for picking it up.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    6J1Q

Yeah I went and read some of that. It was funny to me.....went along for two pages with quite a bit of commentary from women and the OP that seemed just fine and all of the sudden a few people, both men and women decided to be butt hurt and raise a stink where none was needed and it went downhill from there. And I see the butt hurt couldn't stay in that thread, some had to drag it into this one. Got it. Just another day on MFP.

Seems like you're doing your share of dragging
  • apple173
    apple173 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Good read. Thanks DD.
  • DangerousDUCK
    DangerousDUCK Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    kyta32 wrote: »
    I've lost 120 lbs. I find that now the inches are coming off quicker, they are more of a motivation. At the beginning I had to lose over 10 lbs per inch. Now it's closer to 2" for 10 lbs. I couldn't get calipers, and couldn't afford a DEXA to get an accurate idea of my body fat %. At the beginning, at least, the scale was more motivating than the measuring tape for me. Learning about water weight helped me understand what was going on with the scale, though. You forgot one important determinant of water rentention - HORMONES!

Ah yeah very true.