Not sure what I am doing wrong :(

Options

Replies

• saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    What's low-fat, low-carb, low-sodium? Nothing but chicken breasts?

You're doing so much at once, that you have no idea what's working and what isn't. It sounds like you're starving yourself.

Stop working so hard, and concentrate on one thing at first - eating properly. Get a food scale and measure everything by weight, and use the food labels. Don't trust the MFP food database.

If you insist on activity, then take a nice stroll for 20 minutes a day, and don't eat back the calories.
  • monjacq1964
    monjacq1964 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    what is your protein intake like? you need protein to maintain and/or build muscle (to stay healthy).
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I more and stop fretting over fad dieting (low this, low that). You'll see a 2 to 4 week fluctuation while your body adjusts, but then you should see benefits. I'm 5'4", 140#, 35, and consume 1700 calories on a low day. I need to stick to 1700 to get down to 125, and I am not a cardio bunny (although I do love teaching step and running, but I don't do either of those things every day). You're over doing it, or under doing it depending on your point of view.
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Try more cardio. I didn't see any losses until I increased my cardio to 60 mins a day 3-4 days a week with a HRM. Give it a shot.
  • rayneface
    rayneface Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    5'11" here - I eat no less than 1700 calories (those days tend to be inactive couch potato days) I eat a lot more on exercise days (2300+) You should give yourself a few weeks at a higher calorie intake and see how your body adjusts. Try to avoid the scale until the end of your experiment. If you watch the fluctuations you might get deterred. I suspect after those couple weeks you'll have dropped weight :)
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    Eat more or stop the exercise. If you want to eat very low calorie, you cannot over train on top of it.
  • Kellihulst
    Kellihulst Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I agree with many others that say to eat more!! And increase your lean protein. Are you getting enough water?
  • shannonespinoza
    Options
    As someone who is similar (a bit shorter and heavier tho!) to your stats, you need to eat more. You calories likely need to be closer to 2000 a day. There are some great calculators from which you can get this information. I can never find the link, but there is a great article here on the message boards called In Place of A Road Map. It has excellent advice on which websites to go to in order to find your caloric needs and how to use the numbers you figure from them. Good luck!
  • AnnDM1
    AnnDM1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    There are three other tests you should look at having done. Even if your thyroid is normal.

Get your doctor to check your vitamin D level. If it is not in the "normal" range it can impact your wt loss. Also too low of a vitamin D level can trigger your "fight or flight" response in your body. That produces to much cortisol which makes you gain more fat versus burning the calories.

Which brings me to the other tests. DHEA and Cortisol. They are both hormones that impact your thyroid and other weight loss issues. If your ratio is "off" then you will convert calories into fat (mainly belly fat).

This is what my doctor tells me.

My doctor put me on a low dose of DHEA because my levels were on the low end of normal. I dropped 7 pounds in 4 weeks while on vacation and not tracking or watching what I ate. We are now trying to get my vitamin D level up.. I am new to using MFP (joined but never really tracked until about a week ago) but hope that all of this will help with my wt loss.
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    are you drinking plenty of water? I just had the exact same complaint, started drinking loads of water and started losing straight away.

It will be more than one issue probably. I find if you undereat you may be picking more, you must be very hungry at such low calorie. So your calorie intake may be higher than you think (ever watch Secret Eaters?)
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Eat more. And eat real food..not low Cal this or low fat that. You are undernourishing your body and need to treat it better..its the only one you get.
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Up your calories.
  • tavenne323
    tavenne323 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Eat more. I'm 5'10" and 233lbs (down from 260) and I eat about 1500 cals a day. I try to eat good, clean food as much as I can and stay away from processed foods.
  • scoutfinchie
    scoutfinchie Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Here's a great link to figure how much you should be eating. Your body may think it's starving because you are eating so little,

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/
  • marhattap
    marhattap Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I totally agree! When I kept reading about upping your calories, I thought, WTF AREN'T YOU SUPPOSED TO CUT CALORIES? But, I figured hey, I LOVE FOOD, so I should at least try it. Needless to say, the weight does come off much easier when you up your calories. I'm not even trying that hard and I'm losing.
    I agree. Eat more, it sounds counterintuitive but when I upped my calories the weight came off so much easier.
  • El_Cunado
    El_Cunado Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I'd say eat more.
  • Aweriah
    Aweriah Posts: 15
    Options
    Please don't starve yourself :( slowly modify your calorie intake so the body can adapt, too much of a change will make it hold on to all the bodyfat it can, because it'll think you're starving.
  • carakit
    carakit Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I agree with others you are not taking in enough calories. I am a 6'2" woman and I suppose to eat 1900 calories a day in order to lose weight. I run and do a lot of weight lifting. Obviously make those good calories not just junk but I think I will help your body use that fuel instead of storing it.
  • h9dlb
    h9dlb Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    not eating enough and your body is hanging onto fat. You're a tall girl so need to eat more
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Based on your stats, 2000 calories total a day would be much better. Also, you need to get your calories from somewhere so it's pretty impossible to go both low fat and low carb. Also, fat is very healthy for you, with the exception of transfats, so dont be afraid of it. I would suggest, high protein, moderate carb and fat. I tend to like macro's around 35% carbs, 40% protein and 25% fats.

FYI, here is a list of myths in this thread

1. Eating 4-6 meals a day is better for you (meal timing and frequency do not effect weight loss).
    2. Drinking more water will make you lose weight
    3. You need to watch sugar (no specific micro or macro nutrient alone will prevent weight loss).