What are your favorite salad dressings?

Options

Replies

• tinascar2015
    tinascar2015 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I've always made my own vinaigrette, and this is my favorite, which makes about 10-12 servings, about 50 calories for 2 Tbls.

2 Tbls. olive oil
    6-8 Tbls white or raspberry balsamic vinegar
    1 Tbls honey mustard
    1 Tbls lemon juice
    2 Tbls water
    2 smashed cloves of garlic (remove after infusion, usually several hours)
    1 tsp. dried oregano
    1/2 packet Splenda
    1/2 tsp salt
    Coarse black pepper to taste

You can reduce the oil to vinegar ratio, but I like a dressing with a less oily taste.

Sometimes I sprinkle 1/2 ounce of crumbled blue cheese on the salad, a very nice touch when I haven't had too much salt or fat that day.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I like the Litehouse Opa dressings. You find them in little squatty jars in the refrigerated/fresh section of the produce aisles -- usually near the Bolthouse dressings, if the store carries them.
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Walden farms! Zero calories!
  • dogbydog123
    dogbydog123 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I prefer to make my own salad dressings.
  • annetteh145
    annetteh145 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I marinade tomatoes and red onions in my dressing prior. Usually I let it sit while I prepare the rest of the meal. It's simple and super tasty.

1tbsp olive oil
    1/2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar or white wine vinegar
    Salt pepper and
    1/4 teaspoon SUGAR
    Tomatos
    Red onions

After 15 minutes or so you will see that that the vinaigrette releases all the juices from the tomato/onion and the fluids almost double up. My salad is never dry or tasteless. Just add lettuce and whatever other greens you like. Cucumbers, bell peppers etc. I usually make some lean meat with this that I pan fry without fat or oil, so no additional fats are in my meal.

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Ken's Italian and Ken's red wine vinegar & oil
  • rocknrollfire
    rocknrollfire Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    i make my own! my favourite is a blended vinaigrette w/ apple cider or red wine vinegar, maple syrup or honey (depending on what i've got), shallots, grainy mustard, and olive oil.

also, sometimes when i've got a jar of pre-made pesto that's only got scrapings left in it, i shake it up with some more olive oil and some white balsamic vinegar. delicious!
  • kristn__
    kristn__ Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    If I'm craving something creamier I usually go for a mix of FF sour cream and salsa mixed together. So good! Otherwise I make homemade vinaigrettes
  • ErinK09
    ErinK09 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I love ranch. Just a little teensy bit is enough for me on my salads if I have chunky vegetables on it.
  • tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    cruelas01 wrote: »
    I made an almost oil free salad dressing from stuff in my fridge. My husband even likes it, so I always keep it on hand.

2T Lemon juice (or other citrus, I have tried lime and limequat - all good)
    2T Rice Vinegar
    1t Hot Sauce (optional, I use Tapatio)
    1t Light Ranch Dressing

This is two servings (but I now mix up larger batches)
    I have also tried mashing up some avocado and mixing it in. This is really good too!

This sounds fabulous and I can't wait to make it... I'm trying to mentally 'taste' what this is actually going to taste like and can't wait.

I bought some Bolthouse Blue Cheese over the weekend and it is really, really good for being low cal. Have plain Greek yogurt in the fridge, too, for some of the other recipes. I'm compiling all these recipes so I have them for future use and plan to make them all at least once.
  • ambarsch
    ambarsch Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I simply use balsamic vinegar and olive oil. I don't need much, I like the taste of my veggies too much to cover them. Lol! I found a fabulous strawberry balsamic vinegar at a local oil store. It's crazy good with blood oranges in a salad!
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Plain ol' caesar dressing, any brand, is my FAVE. Full fat, full flavor, just use 1/2 a serving, instead of whole.
  • ncscott11
    ncscott11 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I make a low calorie ranch by using a Hidden Valley dry packet and blending it with 2% cottage cheese and some coconut milk (to thin it out), it's only about 25 calories a serving this way and yummy!
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Typically, I make my own oil and vinegar dressing - most of the time, it's equal parts GOOD olive oil with GOOD balsamic vinegar (go to a specialty store if you can, it's completely worth it) - it's even better if you use a flavor-infused balsamic (white or regular). Depending on my salad ingredients, I might substitute red wine or apple cider vinegar, or add lemon juice or mustard or honey. Just depends on taste. Measure out the amount of oil that fits your day, and then just play with your remaining ingredients based on what tastes good to you.

If I'm craving ranch, I'll often thin it out with some salsa. If I use bleu cheese dressing, it's usually on a salad with some beautifully grilled steak, so I just go for it and make it fit - totally worth it.
  • spatdi
    spatdi Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My favorite is Olive Garden light. 30 calories for 2 TBSP. I buy it at Walmart, but I think other stores are carrying it now. They even have the Olive Garden croutons. Add black olives, red onion and a few pepperoncini's and its just like the restaurant.
  • TaraPrettyTeeth
    TaraPrettyTeeth Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My favorite is this super simple honey garlic vinaigrette. You can also add other spices or use different kinds of oil or vinegar to modify it to your tastes.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I love the bolthouse mango chipotle yogurt dressing, its amazing http://www.bolthouse.com/product/mangochipotle
  • jskhd
    jskhd Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have a few go to options--
    • balsamic vinegar (usually i have regular on hand, but i've been experimenting with infused balsamics. I recently tried a fig infused balsamic that was TO DIE FOR)
    • salsa! seriously, throw some black beans in the salad and it gives me an excuse to use salsa
    • if i'm wanting something creamy, my favorite is trader joe's champagne pear vinaigrette. I've found it helpful to measure out your serving (or sometimes even half a serving) and add it to your lettuce, then mix it around with a spoon to evenly coat it before adding your other mix-ins. I always feel like I'm getting the full serving's worth this way.
  • Morningmania
    Morningmania Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy the Bolthouse Farms Yogurt Dressings. The ranch, salsa ranch & Cilantro Avocado are my Favorites.
    In reading this thread, I am curious if anyone has ever used fat free greek or regular yogurt and a packet of the lite ranch. In theory it sounds good.
  • AndreaEIE
    AndreaEIE Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Wishbone Light Balsamic Vinaigrette