Anxiety Sufferers!!

Options
Has anyone been diagnosed with anxiety during their MFP journey??

I was recenty diagnosed with situational anxiety and I feel as though ever since I started this medication that I have no energy or willingness to do my exercises. This frustrates me because I have a goal in mind that I still want to meet but from the looks of things I am not going to succeed. Yes I realize that is not the attitude to have but forcing myself to do even a 25 minute exercise video is becoming a huge hassle!!!

I guess my question is, has anyone started a new med during trying to lose weight. Was it a constant struggle??? Did you get out of the funk???? How long did it take before you were back to normal??? Thank you to everyone that responds!!!!!!!!!!

Replies

• shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed long before I started MFP. I am not constantly medicated, but I did just start a cycle of sertraline (zoloft) and it makes me out of wack for maybe a week.

I've found the biggest struggle is not the medication, but the self talk. And that goes for anyone, regardless of what other issues they may have. The more you tell yourself you can, the more you will. I've found that to be true in all stages, medication or no.
  • NessaReh85
    NessaReh85 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed long before I started MFP. I am not constantly medicated, but I did just start a cycle of sertraline (zoloft) and it makes me out of wack for maybe a week.

This is what I am on as well and I am going on 4 months and still not feeling like I want to exercise. Even though I know I saw results rther quickly the first time, I just cant seem to stick with it this time. Dr. said it is normal and when I go back in at 6 months we can discuss it then. It almost feels like I have to sacrifice either taking my meds and staying fat but being able to handle public situations or become a hermit again and get skinny---er lol.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed before MFP, and take medication daily (Lexapro). Mine doesn't zap my energy, but I was in the doctor's office this week and she asked me if it does because people do complain about it. I have always taken it in the morning with other vitamins and allergy pills, but she said to try taking it at night instead. That being said, I have lost 100+ pounds while on it and now that I exercise regularly I don't take as high a dose.
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I take Lexapro as well (10mg) at night. I started taking it when my son was a few months old and parenthood was causing me a lot of stress, so I didn't have much time to work out then anyway. But I find as long as I take it regularly I don't notice a difference in my motivation.

However, once I was on Singulair and whether it was a side effect of the drug or interaction with my anxiety, THAT killed my motivation. I had to switch allergy meds as a result.
  • cblack8
    cblack8 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm also on Lexapro, I've had generalized anxiety my whole life. I do have trouble finding the motivation to work out but that's definitely not a new thing so I don't think I can blame that on the drugs.

I've noticed once I suck it up and go to the gym, I want to go again because I feel awesome afterwards but then if I miss a couple of days I don't want to go anymore. I read a quote on here that was "never miss a Monday workout" so I think for motivation I might just try doing a run or workout video on Mondays and seeing if that awesome feeling can make me want to go back a couple of more times that week. I think committing to 30 minutes one day a week seems like a reasonable start.
  • holliesangel
    holliesangel Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I've had anxiety my whole life too but I've only recently been medicated for it. It doesn't effect me now but before we got the dosage right, it basically made me crash everyday by 4 pm. I was ready to be in bed by that point.
    I agree about the hardest part being getting started. Once I really get going its not hard to get out and exercise but those fist few days, you really have to talk yourself into it.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    ive been diagnosed with something more severe than anxiety but it is based mostly in anxiety

anyway i refuse to take any medication besides xanax (ive tried all kinds of other medications and found them to make me want to kill myself even more or just made me feel like a robot) I would give the meds you are taking a little longer to see if they click and if not ask for something else and explain to your doctor what you are doing with your new weightloss thing
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Have you considered therapy instead of medication?
  • JessRaddatz
    JessRaddatz Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I am sure I've had anxiety my whole life, but I was just diagnosed with GAD with a side of OCD (I informed my Dr that that could not be as I do not clean; apparently my OCD manifests itself in a different way, darn it, lol) and started on 5 mg of Lexapro for it in April of last year, about six months after I started getting serious about losing weight (again). The medication does not affect me at all in terms of energy or motivation or weight loss. I also take it in the morning with a multi-vitamin and a Claritin. Could it be the type of medication you are on? Maybe talk to your Dr about trying something different or possibly just taking it before bed to see if that helps. Good luck!
  • mhoeff1
    mhoeff1 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I use to take zoloft for 6 yrs 100mg a day and it made me kind of like non caring about much and did help lots with anxiety it made me sleepy at times but not too bad after taking it for while I went off for two yrs and bam!!!! this oct it hit again back on meds this time she made it efexor xr and it is helping but causes insomnia so I have no problem with being tired thats for sure it can also cause one to be constipated and read somewhere it is hard to come off of I dont think I ever want to come off of any meds for this again the panic attacks are brutal! I liked the zoloft better for anxiety but didnt like the mood swings and the feeling like I was numb to most things . it is easy to come off of though lots of luck give it some time and if its not working in like 3 months go back sooner to see your dr and ask for something else.
  • uptownplum
    uptownplum Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I take 20mg Lexapro and have 0.5mg Xanax on hand for the really bad days (luckily I haven't had to use that in a while).

In an unfortunate twist of irony, I take 60mg Vyvanse for ADHD, which has worsened my anxiety. You win some, you lose some I guess.
  • NessaReh85
    NessaReh85 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the advice. I have been on 50mg zoloft for about 4 months. I have a sister-in-law that has been on that efexor?? for a bit and loves it. Also to add on, I do have a mild form of OCD as well. Mine covers minor cleaning but mostly I am OCD with symetry. Things have to be in line, I cant grocery shop and take the first thing on the shelf, always the back. Everything has to be facing the same direction---card games are the worst. But I deal because I would much rather have those than have the light switch-door knob or any of the other forms.

Again thank you all, my biggest concern is that I wont come out of this funk. I also have issues with needles, so this year when I go to get blood work done I have to take a xanax and take the day off work in order to get blood drawn. I don't personally notice any changes on this medicine so I am afraid maybe its not the pills and that I am just being lazy. I hope not, the only true differenct I feel is that I don't sit and clean my house every waking minute and make sure my laundry in the closet it straight.
  • thegreensparks
    Options
    I too have the funk! I can totally relate to your concerns. I'm on 100mg of Zoloft and at first it made me energetic (perhaps just a placebo or the depression/anxiety fog lifting) but now I'm often tired. I've just joined a gym in the hopes it will help my energy and weight. We'll all get there eventually!

Uptownplumb, does the Vyvanse help you focus? Is it worth the anxiety spike?