Water Drink mixes like crystal light.

Options
2»

Replies

• Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I actually can't drink water flavored with Crystal Light, or Mio, or anything added other than natural fruit. There's something in the mix that irritates my throat something awful - it gets dry and scratchy and feels terrible.

I've noticed that Powerade Zero does the same thing. There's just something in there that my body is NOT liking. :(
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    There's also so many sweat tea options. I enjoy the vanilla/carmel chai teas or wild chaild tea by good earth is pretty sweet with cinnamon flavors. Delicious! They have zero calories and they help make sure that I'm meeting my water intake goals every day.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Klank2314 wrote: »
    I know they are not great for me...

There's nothing wrong with them.

Except the price, which is fixable by using generic knockoffs.

:drinker:

• RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    Lemon, lime or orange wedges. Cucumber or strawberry slices.

^+1

Another +1 here

I don't like having to keep fresh lemon on hand (especially at work), so I buy True Lemon, which is crystallized lemon. Here is how the package reads:

"Crystallized lemon [citric acid, malice acid, lemon oil, lemon juice, ascorbic acid (vitamin C)], no preservatives, gluten free"

I buy it in bulk from Amazon, and using it helps me get at least 68 ounces of water with lemon every day. (I still have my one can of Coke Zero with lunch during the week.)

http://www.amazon.com/True-Lemon-Bulk-Pack-Count/dp/B004RZ63KK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1423502166&sr=8-1&keywords=truelemon

(Note: I don't work for Amazon or for the company that makes, sells, or markets True Lemon or anything. I'm just a satisfied customer.)
  • bethanyka
    bethanyka Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I like lime, cucumber slices and some fresh basil.

• mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I like adding lemon wedges to water but it isn't as easy to do at work. I buy True Lemon and add a little of that. It is basically just crystallized lemon with no sugar, preservatives, or artificial sweeteners. Also good added to tea. It comes powdered in little packets similar to sugar packets.

I think the same company makes an orange, lime, and possibly grapefruit version.
  • rebeccalenk
    Options
    Okay, not a mix but I LOVE LOVE LOVE La Croix.
    Unsweetened, carbonated, with a little flavor.
    Yum.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I drink plain water and I also use crystal light. I don't see the issue with using them, but since you do, try adding fruit to your water.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Cathalain wrote: »
    I actually can't drink water flavored with Crystal Light, or Mio, or anything added other than natural fruit. There's something in the mix that irritates my throat something awful - it gets dry and scratchy and feels terrible.

I've noticed that Powerade Zero does the same thing. There's just something in there that my body is NOT liking. :(

Have you been allergy tested? I can use the powdered CL and one flavor of Mio, all the other flavors and all the other brands of liquid have an ingredient I'm allergic to. Do you get the same reaction if you have something with food coloring?
  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    RBXChas wrote: »

^+1

Another +1 here

I don't like having to keep fresh lemon on hand (especially at work), so I buy True Lemon, which is crystallized lemon. Here is how the package reads:

"Crystallized lemon [citric acid, malice acid, lemon oil, lemon juice, ascorbic acid (vitamin C)], no preservatives, gluten free"

I buy it in bulk from Amazon, and using it helps me get at least 68 ounces of water with lemon every day. (I still have my one can of Coke Zero with lunch during the week.)

http://www.amazon.com/True-Lemon-Bulk-Pack-Count/dp/B004RZ63KK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1423502166&sr=8-1&keywords=truelemon

(Note: I don't work for Amazon or for the company that makes, sells, or markets True Lemon or anything. I'm just a satisfied customer.)

I love True Lime Black Cherry Limeade, so yummy, but only one store around me sells it, and it's not my usual grocery store. But when ever I use it, my kids end up stealing it from me

• peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options

^+1

Another +1 here

I use the True Lemon and True Lime too. It tastes way better than bottled lemon juice from concentrate, too.
  • BrittanieGo
    BrittanieGo Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I put a couple of drops of Grapefruit Essential Oil in my water. I would try those other drops again if they took out the artificial coloring. The Powerade ones are my favorite!
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    My dietician highly recommended them to me to get me to drink more water. She said it's way better to drink it than not, and if I liked flavors to go ahead.

They've also gotten a bad rap due to all the 'artificial sweetener' fearmongering that's being done. They're not harmful

Bottom line, if you like them, drink them. They're zero carb/calorie and taste delicious :)
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I stopped my use of artificially sweetened beverages by using fresh fruit slices and sometimes cucumber and mint in a big jug of water in the fridge. It gave me flavor so I didn't miss any diet drinks. you can use the same fruits for a couple days too so it's not costly at all.
  • RBXChas
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »

^+1

Another +1 here

I use the True Lemon and True Lime too. It tastes way better than bottled lemon juice from concentrate, too.

Agreed. I used to use lemon juice, but it was tough to find the right ratios. One packet of True Lemon in my water bottle (34 oz) is perfect for me. I'll have to try True Lime, too!
  • RBXChas
    Options
    My dietician highly recommended them to me to get me to drink more water. She said it's way better to drink it than not, and if I liked flavors to go ahead.

They've also gotten a bad rap due to all the 'artificial sweetener' fearmongering that's being done. They're not harmful

Bottom line, if you like them, drink them. They're zero carb/calorie and taste delicious :)

I do agree with this. However once I got used to drinking plain water or water with a little flavor (as I mentioned in my ratios for True Lemon to water), drinking a Crystal Light or Mio drink tasted way too sweet! I still have one can of Coke Zero a day, but I just can't do the mixes any more. On the rare occasion that I have sweet tea, I have to cut it with unsweetened tea.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    I'm not really a fan of flavored waters or juice-type beverages. However, I love me some Crystal Light Mandarin Orange Iced Tea drink mix. I've been known to go to three or four different stores just to get it.
  • Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    Cathalain wrote: »

Have you been allergy tested? I can use the powdered CL and one flavor of Mio, all the other flavors and all the other brands of liquid have an ingredient I'm allergic to. Do you get the same reaction if you have something with food coloring?

I suspect that I may be allergic to an ingredient in the powdered mixes. I don't have as much trouble with the liquid stuff (although if I drink too much of it, the same thing starts to happen - I can usually do about 1 full water bottle before it starts to bother me).

Food coloring additives do seem to trigger off the same thing, though it depends on how much/what type. I have a doctor's appointment this upcoming Friday, so it may be worth putting that question on my already extensive list to ask about.

I have tried the TrueLemon/Lime products - they ARE good and they don't bother me at all.