How to increase daily steps?

Options
124»

Replies

• GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    If you walked in place for 10 minutes for every excuse you have made just in this thread... you would reach your 10k before page 1.
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    JAT74 wrote: »
    DavPul obviously not! But then I learnt that a while ago. I still don't get why people on forums don't seem to understand the concept us Brits are taught ie. If you have nothing nice to say then say nothing at all.

A ) We aren't British?
    B ) We are trying to give you good direct advice.

I always had the impression that the Brits had a certain appreciation for direct and honest truths, or is that the Australians? Anyway, whether it is served with scones and butter or a nice little jam - it comes down to a very simple thing.

Most Aussies appreciate the direct and honest truth, I do. That said there are Aussies that would get butt hurt over the responses here too. Every race/creed/nationality/etc have it's sensitive little flowers.
  • myfelinepal
    myfelinepal Posts: 13,000 Member
    Options
    Of course there are rude Brits, but it doesn't change the fact that I have always been taught that if you have nothing nice to say it's better to say nothing at all and I think people on forums should bear that in mind before posting. When people ask for advice they are generally looking for friendly advice and tips which can help them, not for someone to have a go at them or to tell them off. Generally I try and stick to that myself, nothing to do with a halo but if I can't say anything nice to someone then I keep my mouth firmly shut and believe me there have been plenty of times I could have said a lot but didn't.

Sorry but I do think it's partly to do with cultural differences as I generally find British people have a different attitude to a lot of things and look at things in a very different way to other nationalities. In the UK we believe in honesty and sticking to the point which is why sometimes we have to be honest and say we don't like something or can't do it for some reason. It's not negativity, it's called being honest with yourself!

If I know I don't like walking alone except for shopping/window shopping then there's no point planning to go for a walk on my own because it just won't happen. I will happily walk the dog or go for a walk with my other half but if he or the dog won't go then I am not going to go either unless I go to the market or shopping centre, simple as that.

Instead I have to find other ways to get my steps in that I know I will stick to, so if that means walking around the house a bit more during the day, making an effort to go from the top the bottom of the house and back more often, taking longer routes to places I am going to when I park the car, or doing short workouts in my breaks then that's what will work for me.

I have already actioned some of those points, I've got myself some 10 minute solutions workouts I can do when I get a spare 10 minutes in the day when I'm working, I can and will make an effort to go down to my gym during breaks too or even just for 5-10 minutes to use the treadmill or xtrainer while lunch is cooking, that kind of thing. The evenings are the hardest when I'm sitting down on the sofa doing various activities like playing guitar or watching TV but if I can move enough the rest of the time hopefully I can get up to at least 6000-7000 and that plus the additional short workouts will add to my daily calorie burn.

From one British person to another: just walk. If each word you've written in this thread was one step you would have achieved your goal.

We live in one of the tamest climates in the world in the UK and one of the lowest crime rates. There is really no excuse to pop outside and just walk. Play music or audio books or whatever will get you out there. If you're serious about your goal, you'd get it done no matter what the obstacles are, because being an adult is about taking responsibility and achieving your goals even if there are (perceived) obstacles in your way.

Right now, with your constant excuses you come across as nothing more than a whining child saying 'I don't wanna.' That's why people in this thread have stopped wanting to help you.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Walk like an Egyptiannnnnn...
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    If you actually feel the need to walk more then the only person who can solve the problem of how to walk more is you.

If you just want validation of your reasons for not walking more, then you need to be up front and tell people that you're just after validation and not supportive advice.

Support can quite reasonably mean challenging you, and to be honest I'd suggest that cheerleading is not support.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    OP doesn't want it enough. simple as that.
  • RhondaDesiree
    RhondaDesiree Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have a jawbone. When it buzzes I try to just do something. I do squats, or sit ups, any movement. I walk up & down the stairs several times a day. I have laundry & litter boxes in the basement. I make separate trips to clean each one. I do squats every time I go to the bathroom. I also work from home & it's still snowing here. It's still too cold to be outside, so you just have to make it work. My bathroom is on the upper level, and one on lower level. So I make several trips up & down stairs to go to the bathroom. Be creative. You'll find a way to make it work.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Several of my coworkers have fit bits and are involved with step challenges (as in, they try to get as many steps as possible) one girl goes for a couple walks during the work day. Not long walks, maybe 15-20 min walks. That really adds up if you do it consistently. Plus it's good for you mentally to take a break every now and then. If you have a treadmill you could walk while you watch tv also.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    It seems that a lot of your responses are about what you don't like to do. Unfortunately, sometimes you have to do things you don't quite like to reach a goal that you desire. You have to decide whether the goal is worth the work. You want to reach 10,000 steps, but you don't like to walk alone. Which is more important? Only you can make that decision. Maybe what's right for you right now is to lower your goal. If a 15 minute walk by yourself is too much trouble, I can't imagine the goal is all that important to you.

Sometimes I do a workout I don't feel like doing, or bundle myself up like a mummy to go out for a quick walk in the cold, or choose the veggies over the cheese fries even though I really want some darn fries. Why? Because I want to get to a particular weight, and look a certain way, and that's what it takes. I have a calorie goal, and an exercise goal. And I decided these little sacrifices are worth it.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    DavPul obviously not! But then I learnt that a while ago. I still don't get why people on forums don't seem to understand the concept us Brits are taught ie. If you have nothing nice to say then say nothing at all.

IKR? I can't understand why people here are so mean all the time. It's like these super fit people can't understand the problems us regular people face. It must be nice to be them and have always been in shape. Some of us have to work for it!

BAHAHAHA. @DavPul, you put a much needed smile on my face.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Sorry but I don't think you're very realistic. Nothing to do with changing my mindset or attitude regarding walking outdoors alone or diggin my heels in and I'm not blaming anyone else, I just don't like walking on my own and never will, but it's hardly a crime.
    Then give up the idea of increasing your daily steps if you don't want to do anything to increase it.

There's no law in the US (there might be in british land) that says you need to walk a certain number of steps a day.

It's really as simple as:
    IF: Need to walk more.
    THEN: Walk more.

Methods to walk more:
    Increasing frequency of putting one foot in front of the other.
    Spend a couple grand on a treadmill and walk on it.
    Walk in place. (Best done when dressed as a drum line member.)

A friend's child had an interesting method of getting enough steps in per day.
    She'd eat a bite of food at dinner, then go walk around the house and come back for another bite.

So, let's cut the bull. If you want or "need" to walk more, do it.