Going to the Gym

Options
Hi,
I am going to start going to the gym, I know it is overwhelming as far as what to do but at this time I can't afford a personal trainer. My main goal for working is weight loss, although I know it is really for my overall health. What I'm wondering is what is the best way to go about working out for weight loss. I've heard cross training is best...like 5 min. of cardio then some strength training then 5 min. of cardio, etc.
I am just looking for some suggestions on good things to do. I really like the stair stepper b/c I really feel it! What other things are good though. looking for suggestions for a complete 20-30 min. routine (not including warm-up/cool down).
Thanks!!

Replies

• Squamation
    Squamation Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    For me a lot of time gets lost walking from the cardio area of the gym to the weight section of the gym. I like to start with a run/jog for 10 min (you could do your stairs) and then head over for strength training.

I do my 3 sets of 15 reps of an exercise then drop and do: push ups, jumping jacks, burpees, high knees, etc. for 1-2 min to get my heart rate going and move on the next weight lifting exercise and continue like that.

It's easier for me to stay focused that way.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I suggest starting a beginner lifting program and doing some cardio. Start out easy and build your way up. After a month or two, look into some HIIT work.
  • YMark
    YMark Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    If your gym has classes, start with them. At least you'll get some guidance, and a chance to meet people. If not, start with some cardio (treadmill, elliptical, or stairmaster) and look around at what others are doing. Try to pick out someone that looks like they might be able to answer some of your questions. However, most gyms have trainers that can help you with a basic workout/guidance for no cost. They don't want you in there getting hurt.

Lifting weights with bad form is asking for injury. Purchasing a book won't hurt or even a woman's fitness magazine. Just remember, everyone who has ever stepped foot in a gym, was there for the first time once.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I agree with YMark, if you're interested in cross training, do it in a class. Don't try doing it on your own when you're brand new, mostly because you don't know what you doing yet (I don't even remotely mean this in a bad way) and it's rude to hog up equipment while you're doing your circuit. Besides it's easier to do it in a class because you have an instructor, my local YMCA has a "Spin and Strength" class that sounds like it would be the kind of thing you're looking for.

As for lifting weight, take your time at the start (resist the urge to kill yourself with repetitions and sets) until you learn what weights you can handle and how your body feels with different exercises. Don't shy away from heavier weight once you've got a feel for how to keep good form and how your body feels.

a) you will not bulk up like a dude... we men have enough trouble bulking up/adding muscle without having to deal with your lower testosterone levels and higher estrogen.
    b) you will not tone up lifting weight that's too light for you, that's BS, you need actually need to build up your strength and muscle (keep (A) in mind) to get a tone body like you want.