Gym class bunny looking for inspiration

Options
Hey
I do around 6-8 classes a week which varying from Zumba, body pump, Circuits, FItball, Running and legs bums and tums. I have been told at my local gym to do a weighted workout in the gym anyone got any hints of tips. Kinda nervous as the men are always in the weights area wondered if anyone has any advise trying to tone as I lose weight. Got a stone and a half to go in 3 months.

Replies

• cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Why have you "been told" this? What are your fitness goals? Will strength training help you achieve them?

If the answers are (for example!) that you want to get stronger, want the musculoskeletal benefits of heavy lifting, or are interested in the possible body shape benefits of lifting heavy, it might be a good idea to sign up for a personal training session at your gym! The trainer can show you how to use the free weights, or even the machines, and check your form to make sure you won't get hurt.

A lot of women have a TON of success following programs like New Rules of Lifting for Women, Strong Curves, and Stronglifts 5x5. Why don't you read up on them and see if one of them sounds like something that would help you meet your strength training goals?
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Look for programs that incorporate compound movements (squats, deadlifts, lunges, presses, pull ups, etc.). The New Rules of Lifting For Women and strong lifts are two programs that I find most women like. When you add the weight program, you’ll want to drop a few of the classes. You’re body will need time to recover between sessions. Lift heavy, eat clean.
  • sezylou
    sezylou Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thank you I will have a look at rules for lifting for women. Will let you know how I get on thanks for commenting.