How do I become strong and healthy?

Options
I alway focus on losing weight but now that I am over 40, I want to be healthy!! I can eat nothing but cookies all day and lose weight but I want to be healthy.

I have spent a significant amount of time trying to find the healthiest way too eat. For every doctor that has studies and scientific proof, there is another doctor who disagrees and has their own studies and proof that their way is better. You have to eat vegan, you have to eat paleo, you have to eat LFHC, you have to eat 80/10/10, you have to eat plant based, you have to eat organic...... it goes on and on.

I'm at the point of total frustration today because of all the conflicting information. I guess my plan moving forward is to just try to eat more fruits, vegetables and grains, exercise more and hope for the best.

What are you doing to be healthy and not just lose weight?

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I exercise to be healthy! My stamina has risen in leaps and bounds and unlike weight loss, adding exercise starts to show benefits in days. Being able to do more without running out of breath, lowered blood pressure, stronger, more flexible.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    The relative benefits of different foods is relatively minor. Believe me, in places of the world where food is scarce, all food looks lovely. Our fastidiousness over food is a side-effect of our prosperity; a first-world problem. As Weird Al would say, it ranks right up there with no wi-fi in the kitchen and the battery expiring in our toothbrush.

If you are looking at generally healthy diets, you can look at diets intended to be heart-healthy or diabetic friendly. It will be balanced, it will be low in saturated/trans fats, there will be lots of fruits and vegetables, there will be fish.
  • PrimalGirl
    PrimalGirl Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Eat naturally is probably the best thing you can do. Limit processed food, refined sugar, etc. Real cuts of meat or fish, real raw veggies you steam/roast yourself etc. If you know what's going in your body, you know you're being healthy and can take ownership for the days when you don't eat so well.
    If you want to be strong you need to start resistance or weight-based exercise. Bodyweight exercises are a brilliant start and require nothing more than a bit of space. Squats, lunges, push ups, sit ups, planks, dips, side bends, side planks, yoga. All use just bodyweight and will strengthen bone and muscle as well as helping lower blood pressure and regulate insulin and make you look and sleep better.
    Good luck!
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Just eat a varied diet with a balance of macros, plenty of micros and you'll be fine.

You don't need the next "insert mad fad diet here" to be healthy.

If you want to be "healthier" overall (in no particular order):

1) do some type of load-bearing exercises 2-3 times a week to keep bone density and keep some functioning muscle mass (it's the number one thing that messes people up as they age, this LBM deterioration)

2) do something to challenge your heart and lungs.

3) do some soft tissue/mobility/flexibility work to keep you moving right and your joints healthy.

4) sleep well.

5) hydrate properly

6) Be good to the people in your life
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Find the foods that make you feel like crap. Throw them out. Get enough sleep, exercise, and sunshine.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    jimmmer wrote: »
    Just eat a varied diet with a balance of macros, plenty of micros and you'll be fine.

1) do some type of load-bearing exercises 2-3 times a week to keep bone density and keep some functioning muscle mass (it's the number one thing that messes people up as they age, this LBM deterioration)

3) do some soft tissue/mobility/flexibility work to keep you moving right and your joints healthy.

4) sleep well.

5) hydrate properly

Aww!!! That is so cool!!!
    Post of the day! Heck, post of the year!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Throw out everything you know

Eat a wide range of foods, lots of fruits and vegetables, carbs, lean proteins, good fats, treats and stuff you love

Lift heavy things and put them down again

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options

4) sleep well.

5) hydrate properly

I can find nothing to disagree with in this post. Might as well go home now.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options

4) sleep well.

5) hydrate properly

Yes yes and yes! I have nothing to add but bravo!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I exercise to be healthy! My stamina has risen in leaps and bounds and unlike weight loss, adding exercise starts to show benefits in days. Being able to do more without running out of breath, lowered blood pressure, stronger, more flexible.

Bam!