Sugar-free flavored coffee creamer without partially hydrogenated oil?

Options
BarbieAS
BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
Anyone know of a good sugar-free flavored creamer without partially hydrogenated oil (or, heck, a recipe for a homemade one)? I need to make some changes to my coffee game - I want to try a sugar-free flavored creamer instead of my current half and half and sugar, but every one I've seen is full of partially hydrogenated oil - I could deal with it occasionally but not something I want to have several Tb of every day. I've tried just a little cream with Splenda or Stevia, but I'm not the hugest fan of the taste of those - for some reason, though, I can handle it a lot better if it's artificially manipulated with other flavors into a pretty bottle, lol.

I know, I know, use real sugar and just use less, but I drink a LOT of coffee and this could be a place and a way I could at least attempt a compromise - if it doesn't work out, I'll try a different approach :smiley: .

Replies

• Ladiebug710
    Ladiebug710 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I prefer real half and half to the dairy alternatives, but almond milk has a nice flavor in coffee too. Trying to flavor coffee with extracts is tough because you need so little. Easier to buy vanilla flavored coffee beans IMO
  • BarbieAS
    Options
    I prefer real half and half to the dairy alternatives, but almond milk has a nice flavor in coffee too. Trying to flavor coffee with extracts is tough because you need so little. Easier to buy vanilla flavored coffee beans IMO

I prefer actual dairy to non-dairy stuff too, for sure. Actually, when it comes to coffee, I can live without cream long before I can live without sweetener (I have no trouble with my fat macro so I go ahead and go for it with the cream, it's the carbs that I fight to keep in line, hence my search for something sugar free). But for some reason, plain artificial sweeteners, with or without cream or half and half, just don't do it for me. I can do the sugar-free creamers with zero problem taste-wise, though - it's just the ingredients that scare me.

If someone came along and posted "mix 1/2 C cream with 4 packets Truvia and 1/4 tsp of vanilla and shake it up in a mason jar and keep it for the week" I'd be ALL about it. Actually...I may just try that...lol.
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    What about using SF syrups (like Torani) with a splash of real dairy? Or flavoured coffee beans?
  • BarbieAS
    Options
    JenSD6 wrote: »
    What about using SF syrups (like Torani) with a splash of real dairy? Or flavoured coffee beans?

Oh, the Torani could be a good idea. I used to have a bottle of that laying around quite awhile ago, I had forgotten it existed. Thanks for the idea!

• JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Torani or even just extracts, depending on what kind you get. The artificial ones tend to have a few surprises on the labels, but the real ones are usually pretty basic.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    I like to sprinkle spices on the coffee grounds, like pumpkin pie mix or other blends (there are a bunch of baking blends like apple pie spice, coffee cake spice, etc from specialty outfits like Penzey's) and then I use half&half. I suppose if you can stomach Truvia, go ahead and add that with your half and half. I don't like sweetener in coffee at all, so I don't really think about the sweetened creamers....and all artificial ones taste like @$$ to me.
  • jellybeanhed313
    jellybeanhed313 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Look on pinterest for a recipe. I've seen one on there before.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    1/2 a teaspoon of coconut oil adds lots of flavor and creaminess. I also like to add cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Lizzy622 wrote: »
    1/2 a teaspoon of coconut oil adds lots of flavor and creaminess. I also like to add cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice.

Sounds yummy!
  • hezzyfoofie
    hezzyfoofie Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I used to drink my coffee with two creams and two sugars and just gradually weaned myself off of it. Two creams one sugar, then one cream one sugar, etc. I used sugar free syrups for a little bit but after a while I found they tasted too artificial. I now drink it black. Makes life pretty easy for me :)

We use a blend of flavoured beans (hazelnut vanilla) and regular beans when we brew at home and I find that is a nice subtle taste.
  • RosieWest8
    RosieWest8 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    You could use coconut milk (I like this because it has the creamy consistency of cream/milk -- and I love the taste of coconut). I also don't like the taste of non-sugar sweeteners. I did try a brand called Sun Crystals though that was good (it's half sugar/half stevia). It had the taste of sugar for the most part. At least to me.

• jellybeanhed313
    jellybeanhed313 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Lizzy622 wrote: »

Yep, I do this too. Coconut oil is so yummy in coffee! I even do my coffee black with just coconut oil and I could NEVER drink it black before.

• snarlingcoyote
    snarlingcoyote Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I just use a dash of cream with torani syrups. I'm all about the Sugarfree Salted Caramel. . .
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    Yes. Sugar free Torani + half&half = Every day of my life.
  • BarbieAS
    Options
    I just use a dash of cream with torani syrups. I'm all about the Sugarfree Salted Caramel. . .

There's a Sugar Free Salted Caramel Torani? That's all I needed to know. *mic drop*

Actually, thank you everyone for the good ideas!! I've got some coconut oil at home, so maybe I'll give that a try...and I'm definitely picking up some of that Torani syrup :smile: .
  • BarbieAS
    Options
    Did I say mic drop after the sugar free salted caramel? I'm sorry, I meant MIC DROP. There is COOKIE BUTTER coffee syrup.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    The partially hydrogenated oil is for preservation so it doesn't get rancid. I'd try powdered skim milk with spices and stevia.
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    BarbieAS wrote: »
    Did I say mic drop after the sugar free salted caramel? I'm sorry, I meant MIC DROP. There is COOKIE BUTTER coffee syrup.

There is way too much goodness to be found on the Torani website. Shop with caution. lol Last time they had a percent off sale, we bought something ridiculous like eight bottles of different flavours.
  • BarbieAS
    Options
    JenSD6 wrote: »
    BarbieAS wrote: »

There is way too much goodness to be found on the Torani website. Shop with caution. lol Last time they had a percent off sale, we bought something ridiculous like eight bottles of different flavours.

I have 7 in my cart, lol. Debating whether to pare down to just 2 or 3, or just go balls out and add one more to get free shipping ;).