suggestions on alcohol

Options
Happy Friday MFP people,

Since, I know tonight I will be having a few alcohol drinks to celebrate my brothers 21st birthday, I was wondering if you guys have any suggestions on what I should have, I obviously know that if I am boozing I'm not loosing, but i will allow myself to enjoy this once in a life-time opportunity! Suggestions please.. XOXOX

Lex

Replies

• VAJohn27
    VAJohn27 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm having a blast myself, just remembering being 21! Happy birthday to your fully-adult brother! To him, he's old, but to me he's just a very lucky kid!

On your question: It might not be doable today, but just remember that alcohol is just calories to MFP. I "booze" and lose daily, because I have an "old man's beer" daily. Sometimes two. But I post that exact beer to the MFP as a snack. Sometimes I have to do 10 late-hour minutes on the elliptical to "repay" for that extra watery beer!

So, you could estimate the calories of alcohol (about 100/oz?) you expect to drink, and ease up on breakfast, lunch and snack portions to allow those drinks within the daily allowance.

As for what's least calorie-laden, sugary drinks and soda mixers are good to avoid. Diet soda and tonic waters are decent and often available. If you like straight liquor and can sip vs. throwing back a shot, I'd do that. Beers vary from 96-200 calories. See realbeer dot com or your favorite brand's website.

And keep in mind that a HUGE night of eating and drinking will blow the day's MFP numbers no matter what. Maybe you can use tonight to test your moderating approach to what you consume, overall, because you'll have a ton of (no sarcasm or judgement here!) "once in a lifetime" moments, challenges and such to accommodate in the decades to come.

Above all, have fun, be safe, and remember to make your "old" brother buy you at least one legal drink!

VAJohn

• crosbylee
    crosbylee Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    Flavored vodkas with tonic water, so you can keep the calories low. I love the vodkas they make but most still give me a headache the next day, so I alternate with a water in between to avoid that.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    You can easily booze and lose*

Drink less, or drink lower calorie drinks. Wine is lower than beer, and hard alcohol with diet pop or sparkling/soda water is usually the lowest choice!

• palwithme
    palwithme Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Some of the bars and restaurants now offer "skinny" drinks with about 90 to 100 calories. Order one and make it last. Easier said then done I know.
  • pescetarian_love
    pescetarian_love Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Vodka soda with a lime, even sugar free redbull and vodka. Tonic water still has calories so ask for Soda water instead :)
  • LexDecember1988
    LexDecember1988 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    OH My, Thank you all so much for the information, Its say I will be having a few shots, and lots of water.. I have already planned my meals of the day, so make sure I don't blow it! Hope you all have a safe fun friday!! XOOXXO

Lex
  • LexDecember1988
    LexDecember1988 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    VAJohn27 wrote: »
    I'm having a blast myself, just remembering being 21! Happy birthday to your fully-adult brother! To him, he's old, but to me he's just a very lucky kid!

On your question: It might not be doable today, but just remember that alcohol is just calories to MFP. I "booze" and lose daily, because I have an "old man's beer" daily. Sometimes two. But I post that exact beer to the MFP as a snack. Sometimes I have to do 10 late-hour minutes on the elliptical to "repay" for that extra watery beer!

So, you could estimate the calories of alcohol (about 100/oz?) you expect to drink, and ease up on breakfast, lunch and snack portions to allow those drinks within the daily allowance.

As for what's least calorie-laden, sugary drinks and soda mixers are good to avoid. Diet soda and tonic waters are decent and often available. If you like straight liquor and can sip vs. throwing back a shot, I'd do that. Beers vary from 96-200 calories. See realbeer dot com or your favorite brand's website.

And keep in mind that a HUGE night of eating and drinking will blow the day's MFP numbers no matter what. Maybe you can use tonight to test your moderating approach to what you consume, overall, because you'll have a ton of (no sarcasm or judgement here!) "once in a lifetime" moments, challenges and such to accommodate in the decades to come.

Above all, have fun, be safe, and remember to make your "old" brother buy you at least one legal drink!

VAJohn

thank you soo much!!! I'll ,ake sure my lillte bro buys me a legal drink :)