Calories in bacon

Options
Calories in bacon

I weighed three slices of Naturally Hardwood Smoked Oscar Mayer Bacon. They weighed 2.75 ounces. This is equivalent to approximately 78 g. The nutritional information on the package indicates 14 g equals 70 calories. So if I have the math right I am eating approximately 390 calories of bacon.

I also weighed the bacon after cooking. I cook my bacon until it was crisp. After cooking it weighed 1.02 ounces. I measured the amount of fat that cooked out of the bacon and this came to 2 tablespoons. According to fatsecret.com bacon fat contains 39 calories per tablespoon. For a total of 78 calories. Since the fat cooked out of the bacon I ate I don’t feel that these calories should be counted.

What would be the best way to determine how many calories I actually ate for the three slices of bacon? Should I calculate the cooked or the uncooked weight?

I do think the fat ratios of the uncooked bacon changed after cooking. Could this also affect calorie consumption for cooked bacon?

Replies

• Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I would go with the weight after cooking since that is what you actually ate and the calories on the package since that is the information you have to go by.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Log it raw and stop being obsessive

It's all estimates
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Does the label say just 14 g as the serving size or does it say something like "1 slice (14 g)"? Like this:

226690-bacon-oscarmayer-naturallyhardwoodsmoked-d-1.jpg
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I log it raw!

Cook it....Drain the fat... (even pat the bacon down to soak up excess fat or don't)

Then eat it!! Yummy! :)
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Isn't bacon usually one of the few things that gives their serving size/weight as something like 2 pan fried slices? In other words, isn't it one of the few things that's more accurate to weight after cooking?
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    The nutritional info for bacon is usually for cooked slices. Since you cook it up crisp and render most of the fat out, your nutritional info should be pretty much in line with the label. Weigh after you cook it and log that.
  • campdawson
    campdawson Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

It's all estimates

I log it raw too. Accept the package descriptions as an accurate accounting. Go with, not against.
  • brettb1984
    Options
    The nutritional info for bacon is usually for cooked slices. Since you cook it up crisp and render most of the fat out, your nutritional info should be pretty much in line with the label. Weigh after you cook it and log that.

I was told by the people at Oscar Meyer that the package information listed calories for the uncooked weight.
  • Hitesc
    Hitesc Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    lol. I'd rather weigh it before cooking... better to overestimate than under
  • brettb1984
    Options
    campdawson wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »

It's all estimates

I log it raw too. Accept the package descriptions as an accurate accounting. Go with, not against.

Depending how many slices of bacon I eat the cooked versus the uncooked weight could add up to several hundred calories.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I go with what the package says. Some will say a "serving size cooked" or something like that. But now I want bacon because of this thread!
  • brettb1984
    Options
    Hitesc wrote: »
    lol. I'd rather weigh it before cooking... better to overestimate than under

I am on a strict reduced calorie diet. I would rather not have fluctuations of several hundred calories either higher or lower.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Just log it the way the package says. Three slices of a bacon labeled as "X calories for 1 pancooked slice" means that 3X = calories. Don't make things more complicated than needed.
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Look at the package of bacon. Do the total fat grams plus the total protein grams equal the same number of grams in a serving size? If not, they are talking about COOKED bacon.

In other words, on the package shown above, a serving is 14 grams. However, the breakdown is for 6 grams of fat (54 calories) and 4 grams of protein (16 calories ) for a total of 10 grams and 70 calories. The other 4 grams of weight in the serving size listed HAVE to be fat that is rendered. No other way to come up with the breakdown of macros listed.

So, Oscar Mayer is telling you the weight of a serving raw, but the calories of that same serving, cooked. Likely because they know it will be cooked. But, if you put that bacon in a dish where you don't render the fat, then the calories would be increased by 36.

55835802.png
  • JessRaddatz
    JessRaddatz Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Now I want some bacon.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Log it raw, this way you can cook in the bacon fat. You are never going to be 100% accurate, try your best.
  • brettb1984
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    Well after reading this thread the answer is clear. Just eat your bacon raw.

LOL :p:p:p Thanks everyone for all the responses!!