How often do you weigh yourself when you're getting started?

Options
2»

Replies

• casshazelwood
    Options
    Once a week. Otherwise I'd get tempted to weigh every day, or more than once a day, and get unhealthy with it.
  • myfatass78
    myfatass78 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day. This is not for the faint-hearted or first timer. I hop on the scales first thing in the morning when I use the bathroom and make sure I have no clothes on. This is purely because I like graphs and can handle the scales going up without throwing in the towel.
  • jenifer7teen
    jenifer7teen Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself when I know I can mentally handle it. There is nothing worse than being discourage by a number for no reason. Usually I weigh every 2 weeks (and then usually do a few days of weighing back to back to figure out the average).

Have a I lost 1 lb this week? I want to know (but if for some reason my weight is the same or slightly higher I can be in a bad mood all day!)

The scale number is not as important as others to me- did I do at least an hour workout all 6 days, is my fitness and strength improving, are my food choices 80-90% healthy? Does my body feel/look better? If I weigh myself too often I let the number be the measurement of my progress/health more than it should. But that's just me. :)
  • becqrz
    Options
    I weigh every morning before I jump in the shower. I have been doing this for over 1 year and am used to it. I try to do body measurements on Sunday night. Have lost over 21 inches (all over), and dropped several sizes, that weight doesn't bother me as much as it used to. Doing strength training a couple of days a week, I know some of that attributes to "building muscle". Trying to add more cardio, to see more weight come off.

• amandazona
    amandazona Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    myfatass78 wrote:
    I like graphs and can handle the scales going up without throwing in the towel
    This works for me, too. I weigh everyday and log it so that I can prove to myself that weight loss isn't linear. If the scale seems "stuck" I just stick to my plan and eventually it moves. After tracking daily over several weeks I can see the overall downward trend. :smile:
  • Sammieamfa
    Options
    I weigh everyday and log it on the happy scale app (I only log on MFP once a week). This allows me to see my body's fluctuations. Weight loss is NOT linear, even sticking to my exercise and calorie goals exactly I see fluctuations on 2-4 pounds. I also take measurements once a week, I've had weeks where the scale hasn't seemed to move, but I've lost inches. You need to do what works for you. If you find weighing daily motivates you, great do that. If you find it discourages you, then don't do it.

I'm needing all the motivation I can get reading for my adventure beginning tomorrow so I gave taken a leaf and downloaded the happy scales app :)
  • NikkyT30
    NikkyT30 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I weigh once a week on Wednesday when I get up. I can't mentally handle daily. However after reading all this I'm considering doing some weekly or monthly measurements too:) good luck to everyone:)
  • dbkyser
    dbkyser Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily as well, and only count the weight on Wed.
    I just purchased a Withings scale that syncs to MFP so it will update my weight every day. At first I hated the thought of that but now I feel like it may keep me more honest on the weekends.
  • hlvincent15
    hlvincent15 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once every Wednesday evening after gym.

I have heard that you can weigh 3Ibs heavier in the evening. But I tend to register the weight that shows on the scales.
  • RaspberryTickleChicken
    Options
    Once a week - religiously.

Always same day (Sunday), same time (first thing in the a.m. after brm), same clothing (gym clothes).
  • crosbylee
    crosbylee Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    I have been weighing every morning. Since water retention and stuff like that can cause fluctuations, I average the weights at the end of the week. The trend is looking good because it is going down. It has been helpful to me.
  • mom3over40
    mom3over40 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday and log it on the happy scale app (I only log on MFP once a week). This allows me to see my body's fluctuations. Weight loss is NOT linear, even sticking to my exercise and calorie goals exactly I see fluctuations on 2-4 pounds. I also take measurements once a week, I've had weeks where the scale hasn't seemed to move, but I've lost inches. You need to do what works for you. If you find weighing daily motivates you, great do that. If you find it discourages you, then don't do it.

^
    What she says.

For me, weighing often help me deal with the fluctuations. In the beginning, I weighed myself a couple of times a day - you know you are going to weigh different before and after a meal, drinking water, or using the bathroom. Seeing the differences help me emotionally separate actual weight loss with daily fluctuations.

I also just started to use the Happy Scale app. If you have a smart phone, it is a really nice tool to help you see the trend.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh in weekly, but now I weigh in maybe once a month.
  • LifeNewandImproved
    LifeNewandImproved Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily and let trendweight.com graph it for me via my wifi scale so I can see the daily weight in perspective with all of my other weights.

I have to tell you that I've had your mentality in the past and that is partially what kept me fat for twenty years. I would be "good" for six weeks and not lose even 2 freakin' pounds and say to myself, what is the damn point of all this, and then guess what... stay fat.

One thing I have noticed is my body will stall out for 3-4 weeks, and then I will lose 3-4 lbs in 3-4 DAYS. I never, ever, would have noticed this trend without daily weighing, and sticking with it, despite the scale showing "no progress". And I've gone down like 8 sizes since June and ran 5 miles in an hour yesterday for the first time ever so I'm doing something right, even though I haven't lost jack all since about Jan 20.
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I usually dont weigh at all. the scale causes me too much stress now that I don't go to Weight Watchers anymore. I would overeat if I loss or gained. I take measurements and use the way my clothes fit to gauge. I will start doing it once a month to get over the anxiety the eventually go to once a week on Mondays so I don't overeat on the weekends
  • subversive99
    subversive99 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily just for interests sake, however I log and track my weight, BF%, and waist measurements each Saturday morning. I do full body measurements once a month and track those.

It's definitely not linear, even from week to week. Just make sure you are eating at a deficit.
  • Saab_2015
    Saab_2015 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I am a bit obsessed at the moment I weigh myself first in the morning then once in the evening before my dinner. But you should really do it same time each week wearing the same sort of clothing. Clothing can add a few pounds. Your weight will change with hydration levels but if you can better to track body fat, Muscle weighs more than fat so if you put on muscle but burning fat you may find your slimmer but you weigh the same. Personally Fridays is good weigh day and Monday is a bad one that's weekends for you.
  • lonelyresearcher
    Options
    Same here. Im measure once a day in the morning before my first meal. Don't get frustrated/swayed by the day to day fluctuations. You might want to pay attention to the change over time on the scale of per week/monthly basis. This trend serves as a better measurement of your weight change, rather than the actual numbers.