Have to pause

Options
I've been doing a great job eating healthy, working out and losing weight. I've lost 85 pounds and have gone from a size 24 to a size 12. I felt like I was finally in the zone. However, Monday night I was rushed to the ER with horrible pains and ended up having emergency gallbladder removal surgery. After surgery I had some complications with my lungs. So my doctor has told me I need to take it real easy for a few weeks. I can't workout for a few weeks and I'm so nauseous that my diet has been very bland ( mostly carbs) foods. I'm super depressed thinking there is no way I can keep up my progress at this point. Suggestions?

Replies

• Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Hey Erica,
    You have to put yourself first, your health is paramount!
    A few weeks really won't destroy awesome progress, keep a positive attitude and I have no doubt that you will continue doing great!

Wishing you all the best,

Adam
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    You had surgery. You need to let your body heal. Rest. Focus on a good diet. You can do slow yoga and walking so you don't feel like doing nothing, but don't push yourself until you are healed.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,711 Member
    Options
    As the others have said, first and foremost let your body heal completely. Here's the good news: you'll recover MUCH faster now than had you not lost weight, so be appreciative of your accomplishment and "reward" your body for that by patiently letting it heal.

You won't lose all your fitness gains and you can absolutely stay on track. You said your diet now is bland and mostly carbs. Were you previously eating a lot of carbs? If not, white fish and chicken can be "bland". You can find mild foods right now that aren't full of carbs. Focus on the quality of your food right now and view it as internally healing your body. It doesn't need quantity right now as much as quantity. Hang in there - this will pass!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Get your priorities right, am astonished that in the big scheme of things you cant see your health is way more important than some short term weight loss. Treat it like an injury and get yourself beter then restart with the exercise as permitted by your Dr and physio.
  • Delilahhhhhh
    Delilahhhhhh Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    This operation happened on Monday, it wasn't a planned surgery and must have been a total shock to you and I think you and your body are still a little shocked to say the least (I know I would be). The other posters have already said you need to take it easy, real easy and concentrate on getting yourself better, pamper yourself (I love Reflexology hey any type of massage I go lightheaded).

This will not derail you from your plans, you will still log and be truthful to yourself, adjust your cals to maintenance for the time being, please be easy on yourself. Wishing you all the best on your road to recovery
  • Delilahhhhhh
    Delilahhhhhh Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Erica I meant to post this link. It's from the mayo clinic so a reliable source of info and offers advice on food.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-blog/gallbladder-removal-diet/bgp-20056135