Love a Big Mac, make your own !

Options
Use 100g , less than 5% fat mince! mixed with salt and pepper! and form into thin patty 150 cals
Mix 1 tbsp lighter than light mayonaise , 20 cals, with 1/2 tbsp ketchup 10, cals
Top with reduced cheese slice, approx 35 cals
Add finely chopped raw onion, lettuce and gherkins approx 20 cals
Half a burger bun 75 cals

Healthy version = 310 cals, macdonalds = 508 ! Enjoy ! Tastes better than macdonalds, my kids love them x

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    My big mac starts off with 8 oz of local lamb and the cheese is also local and not low fat in the least and it's very healthy, but probably upwards of 1000 calories, so there is that to contend with, but well worth it, otherwise.... meh.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    One patty? Half a burger bun? That's not exactly a big mac, that's an open burger.

Call it a lighter burger - but don't claim it's a big mac.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    One patty? Half a burger bun? That's not exactly a big mac, that's an open burger.

Call it a lighter burger - but don't claim it's a big mac.

I missed that.

Yeah, not a fair comparison. Just less food.
  • laphibbs
    laphibbs Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Well, you could use a light bun, veggie burger of some sort, fat free 1000 island dressing, and light cheese... I don't have the nutritional info in front of me, but that would be a lighter option for a Big Mac...
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    laphibbs wrote: »
    Well, you could use a light bun, veggie burger of some sort, fat free 1000 island dressing, and light cheese... I don't have the nutritional info in front of me, but that would be a lighter option for a Big Mac...

Thief of joy....

And also, there is nothing wrong with dietary fat. No need to go light and fat free unless you are saving up cals and macros for something else with dietary fat.

• DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options
    So...a burger?
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    So much sadness to save 200 calories

Never ever use fat free / reduced whatever cheese it's like plastic and light mayo no.
    This could be called the burger of sadness...
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    this is going well.
  • tikka29
    tikka29 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Well it's low calorie for me and I love it, if u don't like it, move on and say nothing, instead of slating someone's opinion ! It's an alternative that's all.
  • tikka29
    tikka29 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am hardly going to stuff myself with real Big Macs when trying to lose weight !
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    tikka29 wrote: »
    I am hardly going to stuff myself with real Big Macs when trying to lose weight !

Who said to stuff yourself. I've lost 124 lbs eating Big Macs (not often cause they aren't a fav of mine, I prefer the Bacon clubhouse) but it's very easy to fit that into daily allowance and lose weight.
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options

A. Who said to stuff yourself tho?

B. This is a crap alternative. I believe you could do better for the calories.
  • spoonyspork
    spoonyspork Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Huh. Color me surprised that a big mac is only 508 calories. With two patties, three buns, and cheese and mayo-sauce I expected much more!
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    On the spectrum of food alternatives, it's not bad. It's not like a cauliflower crust pizza or some such silliness. And if the OP and her family enjoys them, great!

On the other hand, I think it's useful to note each of us may have different points where we say it is more or less "worth it" to find an alternative recipe for a beloved food vs. working said food into our daily calories.

Speaking for myself, if I'm getting a Big Mac it's because I want something fast, convenient, and don't quite have the calories for a double quarter pounder. Making a better big mac at home sort of defeats the purpose in my case :) but to each their own.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Use 100g , less than 5% fat mince! mixed with salt and pepper! and form into thin patty 150 cals
    Mix 1 tbsp lighter than light mayonaise , 20 cals, with 1/2 tbsp ketchup 10, cals
    Top with reduced cheese slice, approx 35 cals
    Add finely chopped raw onion, lettuce and gherkins approx 20 cals
    Half a burger bun 75 cals

Healthy version = 310 cals, macdonalds = 508 ! Enjoy ! Tastes better than macdonalds, my kids love them x

Cool that you figured out a homemade version of something that you like.

To me that is a pretty ordinary hamburger to make at home. I wouldn't have thought I was making a big mac.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    So much sadness to save 200 calories

This could be called the burger of sadness...

I would have to agree. For 200 more calories I wouldnt mind eating the real thing. :'(
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Just lol @ the idea of having one pattie and only half a bun. Compare like with like.
  • roxielu0422
    roxielu0422 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    The Big Mac has 550 calories. I don't eat them often, but it's a good alternative if you like them. Good job.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    The Big Mac has 550 calories. I don't eat them often, but it's a good alternative if you like them. Good job.

It's really not.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Lol, I just had to watch Eddie Murphy's "McDonald's vs Mama's burger" after seeing this.

WARNING: Some profanity.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ToAgia1EMA

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png