Bread

Options
hi all

I'm finding it really hard to do this as I'm absolutely in love with bread.
Garlic bread, normal bread, pizza. Does anyone have any advice for me. :)

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Do what? With bread? Eat it? Open mouth, chew, swallow!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    open bread package
    remove bread
    eat bread
    repeat...

on a serious note...calorie deficit is what causes weight loss, not individual food choice. So eat bread, hit your calorie deficit goal, and you will be good to go.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Do what? With bread? Eat it? Open mouth, chew, swallow!
    Mmmm pizza plz.
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Bread is fine when you're dieting. Portion control.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Since this is in the Maintaining Weight forum, are you maintaining? Are you struggling to fit bread and pizza in on maintenance calories, because you should have plenty... Are you not feeling satiated when you eat it?

All the above advice still applies. You can eat it, just fit it into your calories. Make sure you're getting enough protein and fat to keep you full so you don't overconsume.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Bread does have a lot of calories. It's one of the things I mostly dropped when I was on a deficit (with milk and cheese). I substituted in low carb tortillas (50-60 calories) and had rollups instead of 2 slices of bread (150-200 calories) because it was easier to drop that out of my life. I also stopped eating lousy rolls just because someone put them on my plate.

Make or buy good quality bread that's worth the calories it puts in your day and eat it by the slice, not the loaf. Pizza is pizza. It has a lot of calories because cheese has a lot of fat and the crust has a lot of carbs. If you want a lot of it, buy thin crust pizza. If you love the thick crust (I do) just eat one slice or scrimp somewhere else and eat two. I happen to like vegan pizza, where all the calories are in the crust. If you like vegan pizza, you can have three slices.

You have a certain number of calories. Use them to feed your cravings.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Fit it into your calorie allotment for the day.
    I have found that in order for this to work for me, I have to have the foods that I enjoy, which includes bread and pizza. Moderation and portion control.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Bread is yummy especially with peanut butter. ;)
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    the only bread i cannot control myself around is the fresh baked kind...if that is in the house ill eat it all in two days

otherwise i just fit whatever bread product i feel like into my calories
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Eat what you want...In your head if you need a couple hundred more calories for bread, go walk for an hour while holding a slice a bread in each hand.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Learn/practice self-control.
  • joanneaston26
    Options
    Thank you everyone.
  • Spiderkeys
    Spiderkeys Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I've taught myself to hate bread, these days I no longer even buy it, knowing it's nothing but a dinner filler, with so little protein, you won't feel full for long after eating too much of that.
  • Lissa_Kaye
    Lissa_Kaye Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I am so in love with Dave's killer bread thins, good seed and power seed. Also I like to make my own at home. I like to add this cereal to bread and muffin mixes:
    http://www.hodgsonmillstore.com/en/cereals/multi-grain-cereal-with-quinoa-flax-71518-01044-001_group
    It gives it a real grainy, homestyle taste. I like dense breads.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Okay, bread has calories, and don't need a lot of calories, so I practice moderation, in this way: I eat crisp bread at home every day. I'll eat ordinary bread when served, at friends' or restaurants. And I'll make cheese on toast (2x2 slices) about once a month. There's nothing inherently wrong with bread. The smell of freshly baked bread is irresistible, though.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    It's delicious, especially with butter. Work it into your calorie/macro goal and enjoy.
  • Laura3BB
    Laura3BB Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Well I have difficulties with bread too! I live in France where the bread is delicious - but it's sooo calorie-dense! Compared eg to rice or potatoes, other starchy foods...

So I eat a lot less than I used to.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I love bread too, and before focusing on being healthy (including losing weight) I ate a lot of it. I cut down significantly, but I still eat it every day. I make my own (I enjoy the challenge of baking different types of bread), so I frequently have fresh baked bread in the kitchen. It doesn't have to be nutritionally void. Whole grain bread has plenty of insoluble fiber, a good whack of protein and some helpful fat. It's also a great way of eating foods like nut butters, hummus and other dips etc. as well as something to put an egg on, smoked salmon... the list goes on.

Learning to stop stuffing your face with it is tough, but no tougher than any other food. Pre-log it and make sure you stick with your pre-logged plan. It's just a habit.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    bread is the staff of life. bread bread bread bread.
  • MrCoolGrim
    MrCoolGrim Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Ahh to eat bread or not to eat bread, that is the question? Oh Bread oh bread where the ***k are you I'm STARVING. I love fresh calabrese bread just out of the oven with some olive oil and a smudge of tomoatoe and garlic powder. FYI i am drewlling while I type this.