back sore after a 2.5 mile run

Options
i ran yesterday for the first time in a long time and only did about 2.5 miles at 11 minute pace. Today my back in particular is very sore. Any suggestions ?

Replies

• sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Upper or lower?
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I use to distance run and had this problem.

Did you warmup / stretch?

How are you landing? Heel first, for more mid-foot?

Also, do you do any weightlifting? If not, I suggest you do. Running requires a good core since it puts stress on literally your entire body. Get into doing some squats / deadlifts / and some leg accessory work.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    If its upper your probably tensing your shoulders as you run, try wiggling your arms and neck occasionally to remind you to relax.

It its lower its probably your shoes.
  • FrownWellington
    FrownWellington Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    sjaplo wrote: »
    If its upper your probably tensing your shoulders as you run, try wiggling your arms and neck occasionally to remind you to relax.

+1

• ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options

Yup. Or lack of core strength.

• shaunroberts
    shaunroberts Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Hey,
    I suffered with this also. However after adding core workouts back into my schedule the back aches lessened and now no longer bother me. Insane Abs is what I do.
    Cheers,
    Shaun.
  • lbetancourt
    lbetancourt Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    i will have back pain when i run on concrete for too many miles
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options

I agree with this.

Also, my running form (I don't lean forward ... straight up and down) wears out my middle back on longer distances. For the last few years, I've trained for the Half and suffered along the way - just felt weak, etc. This year, I'm devoting the whole year to strengthen my core (learning, working hard), correcting my form, and getting back to basics (5Ks) so I can spend the next twenty years running long - and not injured!!
  • phoebejeeby
    phoebejeeby Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I had a sore lower back after running because i realized I was bending forward ever so slightly at the hips, which put a lot of stress on my lower back. I made a mental note to adjust and the pain went away. The next time you run pay close attention to your posture and how your body feels.
  • runfit247
    Options
    There could be several factors causing back pain. First, 2.5 miles is probably too much if you havent run in a long time. Depending on your fitness level I would suggest mixing walking/running for a week or two after that gradually increase your mileage. Your increase should be 8-10 miles every 3-4 weeks. For instance, you run 7 miles your first week...on the 3rd or 4th week your weekly total mileage should increase to 15-17 miles with your longest run increasing by 2-3 miles. Second, proper form. Shorten your stride and you want to have a slight lean forward at your hips with your foot strikes landing under your center of gravity. Third, core work! Start off with body weight exercises only. A great core routine for runners is: supermans, planks (side, front, and back), reverse crunches, v-sits, bicycles, leg lifts, donkey kicks. I ran all through high school and on scholarship in college and now I coach runners. Hope you find this helpful and if you have any other questions feel free to ask.