Family keeps putting me down (weight lifting)

Options
I'm going to keep busting my butt because I want this bad but every time they see me working out they tell me lifting is "manly" I personally do not feel this way just wish my family was more supportive! It's nice to come on here and see a supportive community. Thanks for all the support just a little rant lol you guys are awesome:)

Replies

• MindySaysWhaaat
    MindySaysWhaaat Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I know the feels. When I was living at home I was trying to exercise and my dad would always make fun of me. The unfortunate thing is you either have to try to explain to them that it makes you bummed when they say things like that, or you have to learn how to tune them out.
  • adamdadkins
    adamdadkins Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It sounds a bit like they're challenged by your efforts to improve yourself and can't help but try and bring you down. It's a natural reaction. All you can do is grow past it. (And you will!)

Keep it up.
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Listen up: The doctors in Australia have TOLD older people to lift weights to retain muscle and burn more fat.
    I started body building in 1980 and still do it at age 67
  • cocmares
    cocmares Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone:)
  • jhds2
    jhds2 Posts: 4
    Options
    Think about this one a min...The people that put you down...what kind of shape are THEY in....? arthritis? osteoporosis? bad posture? high cholesterol? High blood pressure? Lean muscle? at risk for heart disease? ask them what their resting heart rate is! There's absolutely NOTHING wrong with lifting weights, doesn't mean you'll look manly...(unless you're using high high doses of illegal steroids for men for long periods of time Lol), it means you'll have strength, strong bones, n a long list of other huge benefits. Ive lifted since middle school, lightly at first of course. I make it almost a daily routine(still 24 yrs later) n I don't look manly one bit, nor does anyone think its manly. In fact, it's saved me countless times from serious debilitating injuries and everyday accidents (im a serious competitive athlete, who's had my fair share of car accidents n such as well). So, just do You! N we are all here for you! Keep up the awesome goals!
  • My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    It sounds a bit like they're challenged by your efforts to improve yourself and can't help but try and bring you down. It's a natural reaction. All you can do is grow past it. (And you will!)

I thought the same thing.
    Use it as motivation. Prove them wrong. Let the people on here come together as a motivational 'family' for you.

In the words of Taylor Swift: cause the haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate..... Uh shake it off. Shake it off!
  • TheMOC
    TheMOC Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    cocmares wrote: »
    I'm going to keep busting my butt because I want this bad but every time they see me working out they tell me lifting is "manly" I personally do not feel this way just wish my family was more supportive! It's nice to come on here and see a supportive community. Thanks for all the support just a little rant lol you guys are awesome:)
    Out of curiosity-how old are these people? If they're 40+ I would remind them that weight training is one of the best ways to stave off osteoporosis, and if they're not concerned about that yet, well, they should be. In fact, it would probably behoove them to join you.

• deviboy1592
    deviboy1592 Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    Lions don't listen to sheep.