Epic fail Friday!

Options
Ugh, so its 3:40pm at the office and ive already eaten 5 donuts. All day including right now i cant stop thinking about them. There are more in the break room and i want to go get another one. Any way to stop this addiction? All day i think about the donuts and going in the break room and getting another and another and another. Like a alcohol, cigarrette or drug addiction, i cant stop thinking about them. Any suggestions for when next friday comes around?

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    If it's like an alcohol addiction, just don't eat them.

Of course, if it's really like an alcohol addiction not eating a donut would be like not drinking pinot noir, which doesn't really work, so you'd want to give up all baked goods.

If you want practical advice, though, not based on the addiction model, I'd say there are a couple of opposing things to try. One is that you might be building this up into a treat that you can't normally have, so when you have you have no self control. You might do better including a little something, in portion-controlled settings, more regularly, so you can tell yourself that you'll have one donut (because that's what you will make room for in your calories) and that's it.

If that doesn't work or you don't think you could find a way to eat some baked goods in moderation, consider taking a break from them, as they might be a trigger food for you. If so, I'd maybe have something else you like available to eat when the donuts come out.

I used to struggle with sweets at work, since it was a place where I had bad habits and my will power tended to be down, so one thing I did was cut out snacking in general. So I don't think of the sweets at work since I've had my meals or have something available for them. If I'm tempted, I force myself to log before eating and think about what I'm going to have to cut out that evening. If it's worth it, I incorporate a reasonable amount as part of my meal (at the end if dessert) and keep to my no snacking rule.

The only times I've slipped (and I have) are when I decide that I will let myself snack, and that's when sometimes I start with the "just a bit more" nonsense. So I've learned that for me keeping to eating at mealtimes is key.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,923 Member
    Options
    An example of someone eating nothing but donuts all day, excellent, we can use you, please stick around.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    If I buy a dozen I eat a dozen.
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Why stick around? So you can see me get fat? Donuts on Fridays when the company brings them in. Otherwise my macros are about 45% protein, 35% carbs and 20% fats for an average of 1,500 calories. But when the donuts are brought i cant control myself. Ive been doing this forever now. Tomorrow im going to work out for 2 1/2 hours, burn over 1K calories on my mountain bike ride and eat only 800-1000 calories to make it up. I just wish i didnt havet go through this cycle where saturdays are miserable from overeating donuts on Friday. During the week when there are no donuts, i dont think about them. I have my Greek yogart for a snack and protein shake for an afternoon snack.
  • scaryg53
    scaryg53 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Try eating something else sweet instead like a few dates or fruit, it's probably a sugar craving which I struggle with because I have a crazy sweet tooth. Maybe try eating half of one, slowly and just take a bite here and there, that might keep you satisfied, and save you the extra calories. Sometimes just smelling the sweetness is enough for my cravings to go away.
  • jeff0406
    Options
    When I have a craving for sweets, I chew gum instead. To me it works
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    OP keep an eye on your weekly deficit. It might not be as bad as you think :)
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    You're trolling, right? Is that you in the picture? And all you gotta lose is 3 lbs? And your daily calories are 1500? And you're worried about 5 donuts? And how much you're going to workout tomorrow? :trollface:
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,923 Member
    Options
    You're trolling, right? Is that you in the picture? And all you gotta lose is 3 lbs? And your daily calories are 1500? And you're worried about 5 donuts? And how much you're going to workout tomorrow? :trollface:
    I assumed that from the get go.

• betuel75
    Options
    Trolling? No. 5 donuts has already gotten me to my daily mark. Once i eat those i then mess up the rest of the day. Instead of eating my steamed veggies and turkey breast for lunch i went and ate tacos, went out with friends for dinner too. I was over my calories for the entire day now. It seams the rest of the week im cathing up from a big binge day. 1,500 calories a day doesnt produce big weight loss for me. Oh, yes that is me in the picture.
  • betuel75
    Options
    I know the donuts will be there on Friday so I try to eat a little more for breakfast or bring some hard boiled eggs or an egg white omelette and lean meat to eat in the morning but knowing those donuts are there makes me want them all day. I have a hard time eating one slowly. As soon as I finish one I want to get another. It drives me crazy that I dont have self control knowing they are there because any other time I don't think or even care about them. I'm annoyed with myself...
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    betuel75 wrote: »
    I know the donuts will be there on Friday so I try to eat a little more for breakfast or bring some hard boiled eggs or an egg white omelette and lean meat to eat in the morning but knowing those donuts are there makes me want them all day. I have a hard time eating one slowly. As soon as I finish one I want to get another. It drives me crazy that I dont have self control knowing they are there because any other time I don't think or even care about them. I'm annoyed with myself...
    How about skip breakfast and lunch on Friday, that way you can eat donuts.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    betuel75 wrote: »
    How about skip breakfast and lunch on Friday, that way you can eat donuts.

Yeah try that :smile:
    It sounds like you're in a psychological battle with yourself. Like every Friday morning you've planned to fail before you even begin.
    Next Friday wake up with a positive attitude, ; and reinforce to yourself that "today is the day". If you can resist those donuts, imagine how proud you'll be of yourself, it will get easier and easier to resist them. Or maybe put aside one Friday a month for a donut fest. Either that or take a sickie every Friday ;):p
  • betuel75
    Options

Yeah try that :smile:
    It sounds like you're in a psychological battle with yourself. Like every Friday morning you've planned to fail before you even begin.
    Next Friday wake up with a positive attitude, ; and reinforce to yourself that "today is the day". If you can resist those donuts, imagine how proud you'll be of yourself, it will get easier and easier to resist them. Or maybe put aside one Friday a month for a donut fest. Either that or take a sickie every Friday ;):p
    [/quote]

I thought about just eating donuts but my macros would be totally wrong, no protein, all carbs and fat. I think it is psycological. If i dont think its important enough to stay away i set myself up to fail. Its funny people at work write my name on the donut boxes and put a circle around it with a slash through it as to say not for you or stay way, they all know my problem. I have called in sick on a friday before and didnt eat any donuts that day. Of course i cant do that every friday. :wink: I'll try again this friday...
  • ZebsterBC
    ZebsterBC Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    You know how miserable you are after a binge. Stop beating yourself up about it and stop changing your whole week to make up for it. Just log it and move on. The next time you encounter donuts at work, don't eat even one. That will just trigger the binge. You can look at it and say it's not worth it for the taste that's so unsatisfying. Make the decision to skip it. Take a break and go for a walk, do anything but eat one. I was where you are and I can walk away from trigger foods now. If you truly can't, then you need to see a professional for it.