Marathon Training - Mental Training Help

Options
I'm in the process of training for my first marathon. It's the Paris Marathon on April 12. I'm getting into the really long run phase of my training. So far, I have ran a half marathon as my farthest distance. That will change next week when I need to hit 14 miles.

I've been getting nervous thinking about the full marathon, so I decided I want to work on my mental preparation earlier rather than later since I know that will determine my success on April 12.

Anyone have any advice, suggestions on how to keep going, staying positive, etc.? I'm open to anything you may find helpful.

Thanks!

Replies

• chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Personally I just try and switch off while listening to music and every half mile or so check my watch to see how fast i'm going as I have a tendency to let my speed creep up if I don't keep on top of it. The ability to cope with the long stuff comes from nothing more than practice and the way you are wired. I did a half marathon last weekend as part of a group and the final part of the group had a runner who hit the mental wall 9 miles in. despite having run 12 miles the weekend before she just stalled. No amount of gels or words of encouragement would get her going again. She is plenty fit enough to do it just her head said no. We all have bad days and they are to be expected. It is how you cope with the aftermath that defines you in my opinion are you going to give up or are you going to just put them behind you and use them to see how good the other days are.

The long runs should be run at around 30secs to 1 minute per mile slower than your projected marathon pace as you are training your body to cope with time on your feet and to burn fat once your glycogen stores are depleted. It's your shorter runs where you are looking to gain speed.

I'm also doing Paris but am a bit further ahead of you schedule wise as my long run yesterday was 17miles.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Stick to your schedule. Get your long runs in.

Eat enough. I've learned to recognize the moment during my runs where I cross the "available calories" line. It's the moment where my brain starts saying, "Okay, we could stop now, and it would be a good thing." Now I look forward to that moment, because it's only after that, that the work begins.

On some of your shorter runs, practice periods of sticking to your planned race pace. On race day, taper + adrenaline + general excitement will make you want to go out too fast. Don't.

If you find you can't run the whole way? You still get the swag if you're walking across the finish line.

Remember, this is fun.