Working out in high temp and low humidity

Does working out in a high temp environment help you burn more calories or does it just aide in shedding water weight through sweating?

Replies

• cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Water weight. Alas. No shortcuts.

The hot weather *will* raise your heart rate, but in this case it doesn't indicate increased oxygen uptake/calorie burning. Just a...faster heart rate. (Similar to how your heart beats faster when you are stressed or scared. Horror movies don't burn calories, either.)
  • snarlingcoyote
    snarlingcoyote Posts: 399 Member
    Heat also slows your time down, so expect run slower in the heat. Also, if I'm not mistaken, I believe I've read that you may actually burn more calories if you run when a tad bit chilly. Your body burns extra calories trying to stay warm.

At least summer running clothes tend to cost less than winter running clothes!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    What is aids is your body's ability to severely dehydrate itself. Plan your rehydration accordingly
  • thanks for the replys, i suspected it wouldnt matter.

i have no airconditioning in the gym i use at work and it gets pretty hot in there (avg of 45oC) I drink plenty of water during my workout to combat the dehydration.